X

The definitive Katana EFI swap thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katata EFI Conversion

Hey Im new here so I cant send you an E-mail Thesteve. But Mine is [email protected]. Again thanks for the great info and insperation to takle this on my own .

Comment

• Update:

My old katana is back and being parted out. I'm selling nearly all the EFI parts that were featured in this thread. See http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...06#post1999706 for details.
      The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

• GSX650F Throttlebodies for EFI conversion.

Ok here's for you others who have requested it. How to fit completely stock GSXF650 TB's on a Kat.
        Hope this helps.

First off is the diagram of which boot goes where. The boots I used were 1998 750 Kat intake boots. More than likely possible with pre boots as well, but I have not tried. The part #'s I have posted are from the bikebandit fiche.

I recommend using the GSXF650 boot clamps for the ease of getting rid of the old screw style (the new ones use a hex bolt and cover 2 boots).
        Also the oil lines will now be a very tight fit but will work. Personally I will be replacing the lines altogether with a set of HEL lines and adapters.

The next possible fitment issue may come from the secondary butterfly motor being in the way of the alternator. Now I don't know if this will actually be an issue as I do not have my alternator hooked up atm. To get around this you could remove the motor entirely since you will not be using the 2ndary butterflys. Personally I just unplugged the wiring connection at the bottom, since it looked like that would be the only problem point.. I figure the less I have to take off the better.

That should be it for fitment of the GSXF650 throttle bodies in stock form.
        I did however notice that each body has it looks like 2 vacuum ports. if this is true that would mean we can likely use a stock post petcock and still have the other vacuum line for the MAP sensor. If some one has already done research on these throttle bodies and can either confirm or deny this please speak up. .

Cintidude04
        Last edited by cintidude04; 10-31-2011, 08:58 AM. Reason: TB Breakthrough
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

• If you use the stock petcock, then how is the fuel getting pressurized?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• The stock petcock will filter large particles out and will flow into the fuel pump then to the in line filter, then to the fuel rail via the fuel pressure regulator.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

• Wow how did I miss your update cintidude04? Thats great work! How far along are you with your swap? For some reason I never got the notification in April that this had been updated.

Comment

• Wow, long time no see TheSteve. How have you been? Any new projects lately?

So far just acquiring parts and figuring how best to fit them to the Kat. Just ordered my LC-1 lamda controller the other night, Found that the TPS unit on the TB's has a built in IAT sensor I should be able to utilize. Pretty much all that is left is deciding which version of megasquirt to use, Picking up a full exhaust and welding the bung to it ( think I/ve decided on the D&D full exhaust and swap the can out for my Scorpion), and figuring out how best to fasten the cylinder temp gauge then on to tuning. Well, after I rebuild the engine of course.
                Still quite a ways off. But hoping here soon to have the funds to get most of the stuff done to finish the motor at least.
                Last edited by cintidude04; 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

• Very nice, sounds like it'll be a fun project. I've been wondering how the GSXF throttles would work since it was first mentioned, it's good to see that someones actually going to see it through.

I haven't done a whole lot with projects lately, but I've been trying to resurrect some of them. I still have my zx6r which has been great in every way, but I've pretty much left it stock other than sprocket changes and easy stuff like that. Sold my old Toyota truck which had a megasquirted 2RZ engine which ran excellent because I needed space and never really took it off road anymore. I'm pretty sure I mentioned my old Nissan 240sx at one point or another as well. I still have that but I sold the RB25 since it was being a pain and eventually picked up another KA24DE, which I turboed. I made the mistake of trusting someone else's MS timing map and grenaded a piston back in December or January. I rebuilt the engine myself somewhere between February and April, got it all running again but now it won't pass emissions. Honestly the car was left to sit from April till last week; life has been busy this year. I diagnosed the issue to an intermittently leaking injector and just ordered a new set of 75lb injectors for it last night. Hopefully it'll be able to pass emissions and run properly now. Couple months ago I bought an old F150, I was planning on leaving it stock but the factory engine management is really poorly done, causing the throttle to hang like crazy which is annoying during upshifts and it also lags when first pressing the gas. It's no wonder most of these trucks have automatic transmissions; its miserable to drive in traffic with that much throttle lag. So that might get an MS some day, maybe.

I finally quit my old job, got a better one and hated it, quit that one, and am now working at least 50 hrs a week at a job that I enjoy. Also bought a house which is a project in itself. Been a real busy year for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X