X

Cuts out at full throttle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuts out at full throttle

I have a 98 750, and I have had the tank off recently . If i open it up all the way (like on the HWY) it starts to cut out as if is starving for fuel. The fuel filter is new and all the fuel lines/ vaccum line are installed correctly they are also free of cracks. I am at a loss as of what might cause this. I also need to remove a large fist shape dent from the fuel tank. Thanks

Dented the tank? Get a sink plunger, wet the rim, stick it over the dent and push all the air out. Open the fuel cap.

Wait a second or two, and tug really hard on the sink plunger. You might like the result

As for it getting no fuel at WOT - no idea. Carb icing perhaps? Also - is the fuel filter the right way round?
    Last edited by Stumpy; 06-30-2013, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Check the fuel lines are properly routed, not pinched.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

also check the petcock is allowing fuel flow..
        I'm outa here

Comment

You mentioned you had the tank off, and now it will not run right at full throttle. Try running with the fuel cap open. See if it improves. There is a vent in the fuel cap, it might have gotten plugged. If it did, the tank can't get enough air in to let the fuel out at WOT rate.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
          1993 Suzuki Katana 600
          1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Comment

What brand fuel filter?

Is the vacuum line plugged back onto the petcock?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for all the help.
              All lines vaccum and fuel are correct and the filter is facing the proper direction. At one point there was a pinch in the fuel line, but has since beed corrected. A new bit of info; I went out to the shop this moring and noticed that my fuel tank (on the work bench) was leaking fuel with the fuel cock in the off position. It seemed like it may be leaking from around the gastket behind the vacuum line port. I checked all four screws and they were tight. I will check it out further after work.

Comment

Could it be the throttle position sensor? Any one ever have one go out?

Comment

Originally posted by tanker8392 View Post
                  my fuel tank (on the work bench) was leaking fuel with the fuel cock in the off position
                  There is no OFF position. Forward = Reserve. Down = ON (with Vacuum). Back = Prime.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                    There is no OFF position. Forward = Reserve. Down = ON (with Vacuum). Back = Prime.
                    Reserve is also Vacuum... Prime is the only one that is gravity fed.

Isn't there a 2nd petcock on the tank itself that can be closed to remove the tank with fuel in it?

Comment

Originally posted by tanker8392 View Post
                      Could it be the throttle position sensor? Any one ever have one go out?
                      It doesn't do anything your going to notice. You could unplug it and run with out it and not realize it. It's not related.

Originally posted by numus View Post
                      Isn't there a 2nd petcock on the tank itself that can be closed to remove the tank with fuel in it?
                      No 2nd normally, OEM there is only 1 petcock on the tank that is vacuum operated.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

the throttle position sensor has nothing to do with fuel on a carbureted bike, the tps adjusts ignition timing slightly depending on throttle position, ur best bet is not to mess with it.

have u had the carbs apart recently? sticking floats or improper float height can cause it to feel like its running out of gas at WOT, also sticky vacuum slides and/or vacuum leaks

double check the fuel lines, ive found sometimes they arent pinched until u put the tank back on
                        "When in doubt, throttle out."
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by his-royal-freshness View Post
                          double check the fuel lines, ive found sometimes they arent pinched until u put the tank back on
                          Anyone had any luck using spring-style line guards for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                            Anyone had any luck using spring-style line guards for this?

They certainly won't hurt. Post kats come with them OEM.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                            X