Turbo Katana build (The rebirth)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
    Subscribed!

What about running an electric fuel pump? My 87 virago 1100 had one, I assume for fuel flow issues on the big twin. And that would give you a set baseline psi to work with and guaranteed flow with maybe a low budget used part.

Just an idea...?
    of course im gonna be using an electric inline fuel pump cant get 10-13psi of fuel from a gravity fed setup...lol hence why there a fuel return setup

Originally posted by Waltari
    Kettle Moraine...funny, we used to camp there when I was in Boy Scouts oh so many years ago.

the kettle has some awsome roads
    Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I honestly havent ridden anything fast enough to be "scared" of yet... the 1216 was a big step in the right direction, but it just wasnt as much as I had hoped... A 1530 kit? I assume thats not stock cylinders then huh? Still make way more power with a water-cooled motor anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE View Post
        of course im gonna be using an electric inline fuel pump cant get 10-13psi of fuel from a gravity fed setup...lol hence why there a fuel return setup
        Whoops! Had a brain fart! For some reason I was thinking of pressurizing the tank with intake pressure with the second tube you installed to force the fuel out at equal pressure to the boost. Don't ask me why I thought that, dumb idea. Just had a blonde moment. I know that would not work and be unsafe, I was just tired when I posted up the first time and wasn't seeing it in my head.

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
        I honestly havent ridden anything fast enough to be "scared" of yet... the 1216 was a big step in the right direction, but it just wasnt as much as I had hoped... A 1530 kit? I assume thats not stock cylinders then huh? Still make way more power with a water-cooled motor anyway...
        WOW, you are fearless!

An '08 GSXR 1000 is enough to scare me. 100mph in first and lots more to go when you start shifting.
        Last edited by jetmerritt; 10-23-2010, 04:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Most cruisers like the virago or shadows with a fuel pump have a pulse pump good for 2-5 psi. Its not an actual hi pressure fuel pump. its just enough pressure to supply fuel to the carbs when the carbs are sitting high between the cylinders and not much of a drop for gravity feed or in the case of the virago that retarded seperate tank below the fuel tank where the fuel outlet is way below the carbs and has to be pumped up to the carbs.

Originally posted by 4banger View Post
          You mean by revving to 7000rpm and violently droping the clutch?

WHEELIES
          People... listen... you dont rev the **** out of it to bring it up, just just BLIP the clutch by quickly flicking in it about 1/2 way why accelerating.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

carbed ;(.... there was a WHOLE EFI forsale in the BST....i pondered the idea lol
            03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
            04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
            08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
            10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
            05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
              carbed ;(.... there was a WHOLE EFI forsale in the BST....i pondered the idea lol

efi isnt in my low budget build , i plan on running only 7psi, (10psi at the 1320, maybe) so no need for efi...

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
              yeah, you'd have to get a APE Cyl. and then resleeved, forged carrillo rods, notch the case to for rod clearance, serious head work, and a big wallet, oh and it wont be streetable, then a rear rim swap cause that 3.5" you got on there would get destroyed...lol

OK....Got quite a bit done this weekend

first was getting the couplers i got too fit, the plumbing couples are perfect for the 36mm carbs and my 2" outlets on my plenum, but they have to be modified cause there way to long

taking a hobby knife and following the inside clap recess makes them the perfect size

being that there 3/16 thick, a slight notch has to be made to clear the carb rack bracket that holds all four carbs together

and then they'll look something like this

Now for something that has nothing to do with the turbo setup:
              i needed a few parts from the hardware store and they were closed so i couldnt do anymore on the build saturday night so i built another extended swing arm, i went 11" over, its still not done but thought id toss a few pics in there. i still have to make a lower brace, sleeving the extension pieces with 14ga sheet metal, oil catch can and battery box in it, yes the battery is getting mounted in the swing arm cause the turbo and piping took up all the room...lol

SUNDAY:

so today i hammered on it pretty good, got the turbo mounted where i wanted it, downpipe and exhaust done, and the mid pipe....so i got a full vance and hines supersport for sale if anyone wants it, cause im not gonna cut up an aftermarket exhaust.....

thats a jardine slip-on, was on my xb12s, fits the kat pretty good

Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 10-24-2010, 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Looking good! : I think the 11" stretch might be a little extreme, though. I don't think there is any way that you could get enough traction to necessitate an 11" stretch.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

looks amaxzing

Comment

subscribed!
                    Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Whered you tap into the block for turbo oil cooling or did you t off the stock oil cooler?
                      wrecked em hell, damn near killed em.

Comment

the more i see you doing this, the more i dont want to lol. Im thinkin its gonna be either an 09 VMAX or a healthy shot o' spray for the kat next spring...

On a side note...Can you make a 5 in over swingarm for me?? Id like to widen it as well, to fit a 5.5 rear.

Sorry for the thread jack....carry on as you were

Comment

adam just pm me and well talk. im actually gonna run the 6" gsxr1k/busa rear rim.

I know 11" was a bit much but the bike is gonna be a toy not a dd

so today i fitted up the intake plenum and mocked up the pitot lines to the carbs...im working 70hrs this week so not much is gonna change from tonight until probably sunday....and i still have to order the malpassi 1:1 fpr

be patient this is my winter project after all...sh!t the way it going ill be able to ride it before snow fall...lol

Originally posted by jbgarretson View Post
                          Whered you tap into the block for turbo oil cooling or did you t off the stock oil cooler?

look at the first portion of my post..cant miss the ss line and the -4AN fitting
                          Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 10-25-2010, 08:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I have to say that this thing is sic!!!! Hope to get to see it in person one day.

Comment

so this week made some progress, made the oil dump tube (.625" o.d./.560" i.d hot rolled tubing) Forming it sucked with a propane torch, but the end result was pretty good with minimal flat spots and no kinks. i think if i were to of packed the tube with sand i would have gotten a perfect mandrel, but im happy with it. its more than enough dia.

i had the flange cut at work on the laser

yesterday and today i painstakenly made the charge pipe. when you have two ports at different angles, different heights, and different diameters, and about a 4'' window of room shthings become a headache, but i managed to make it work even making a port on the pipe for the blow off valve...its super tight, everything has to slide in a certain way, and couplers need to go on in a certain sequense....not looking forward having to take it off again.....and again.

and a couple fitment teasers

im gonna hammer out on the swingarm this weekend, i made a awsome looking rear brake arm, but not gonna post it until the swingarm is done. wanna beable to take the swingarm to work on monday and shot blast it and have it powder coated in two weeks.......stay tuned
                              Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM.

Comment

kawasaki tail looks nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X