X
X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep..............that's it! Like Lou said, if all the bolts go in, then everything will be lined up!

I always use a block or stand that I built..........I have several of them here and they are no use to me anymore. If you want one, they are free - just pay the shipping.

They are custom built to handle an engine IN it's CRADLE. They make the engine sit square & level and make putting the bike back ON TOP of the engine much easier!

I always used a platform jack with this stand and the engien strapped to the jack, then used a hoist to lift the bike. I lowered the bike down over the engine, then lifted it up if I needed to.

(I did all this work by myself, so I had to have equipment instead of helpers)
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

• Ooooo...goody!

This swap is going to be simpler than I thought. I shot Kwebbel a quick pm, and he's saying that the B-12 motor is working just dandy with a Kat6 oil cooler, and all the temperatures are fine! Apparently the nakedness of the B-12 gives it a smaller oil cooler than the fully-faired bikes, so a Katana cooler will be sufficient. All I need now are the B-12 coils and clutch master cylinder!

I can't wait to get the B-12! My bike's all dismantled and ready to have the existing motor pulled. Since I'm a gimp, I just ended up labelling ALL the harness connections to simplify things....hopefully that'll make life easy when the new powerplant goes in!
      FrankenKat 1216
      GS Fiter 816
      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• I have one question what clutch do you use the hydrlick or manual??

Comment

• I bought a clutch master cylinder and galfer line for the model year of the motor that I'm installing....just to minimize any future problems. I honestly have no idea if you can make the Kat's cable clutch-lever dealio work with the B-12.

Special K? (again?)

FrankenKat 1216
          GS Fiter 816
          GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• I am using the stock Kat cable in the Gixxer engine.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

• I'm using the hydraulics coming with the B12 engine I'm sure you could mod the b12 cover to host the cable-operated Kat setup, but why would you do such a thing? would be a downgrade...

Comment

• I originally though that engine mounts would be different between the Kat 600 and the GSXR 750 - but they are the same! Direct swap over and plug n play. No major issues, save for the clutch cable bracket on the clutch cover touches the frame on the bike.

EASY EASY EASY!

-Grimmy

Originally posted by Grimmy
                I see, and I have a good idea on how to get the engine back into the bike - its getting the correct engine mounts into the lower sub frame, correctly aligned so that the chain will track correctly, etc etc etc.

I guess trial and error is the best method.

-Grimmy
                Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

• i took my bike out for it's first ride this week end and as soon as i hit the gas on second gear the bike goes to neutral. I think the dogs of my transmission are damaged. Since i have to get the engine out to do the job i'm thinking of doing the swap.

I have a 1988 kat 600.

For the gsxr 1100 engine will i have to do new engine mount or will i use the same.

Same thing for the 750 kat swing arm, will i need to do something or is it bolt on. Wich shock do i use ?

If i don't swap the swing arm does my 600 kat swing arm can accept the power.

For the sprocket alignment do you have to do something to adjust or does everything just align ok.

If i want to change my front fork for inverted one, i have gsxr 750 2003 fork at home but i don't have the triple trees. Wich triple tree will bolt directly without modifying the katana frame ?

I don't think these questions were answer in the post, i just read it all.

Comment

• Should fit fine
                    Either swingarm should be fine
                    Alignment should be fine
                    Can't help you there
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• Hello
                      Thought i`d write something useful.

Special K wrote that when installing the 1100 Kat engine to for example 750 frame you must change the cooler .But actually you dont have to replace the oil cooler,because they are exactly the same size,only whose have different diameter.

We tryied to fit the 750 GSX-R (air/oil cooled ) engine to a 750 kat,we didn`t fit it because the gsx-r clutch cable is on the right side of the engine and you just can`t get the clutch to work.thats why we couldn`t get it between the frame.

And that parallel bar,we just cut it in three pieces then we made it a little bit thinner and welded back together.

Hope you`ll understand what i was trying to say ,because my english isn`t very good.

Raigo @Kat 750 powered by 1100 engine

GSX 750F "sleeper" Powered by 1100 katana.

Comment

• Originally posted by Special K
                        Deranged:

I've got a couple of 1100 available engines now, one here and one at my brother's house in Ohio.

The one here is built

The one there is a new acquisition.

Both are early GSXR motors, the 1127 oil cooled versions. They fit right in!

I've got the word out for Bandit engines............still looking.

There is a Bandit forum somewhere on the 'net that had a few wrecked bikes..motors still good. The guys wanted $1500. I thought I'd offer them $1200 and see if they bit............but then I went bac
                        k to work, so I lost time & interest.

hey hows it goinn?? i just got a 2004 600 katana,, its not fast enuff as it is doo u still have any engins for sail that will work in that bike?? an do u no of anything else i can do to it??? thanks alot for ur help!!!

kenny h

Comment

• GSXR 750 in a pre 98 kat 750.

The oil cooler lines wont work. The engine frame will be off by half inch so you have to get spacers or bend it. If you put the gsxr exhaust then you have to bend the metal that the centre stand would attach to. Foot pegs would also be an issue. You need to get new ignition coils because the ohms restrictions are different. The CDI box has the same limits as the kat so that wont need replacing. Carbs obviously will have to be worked on. The sprocket covers are different, so if you buy a GSXR motor then use your old sprocket cover. There is no clutch cable mechanisms on the GSXR's so you'll need a new cable. Other than that, everything is interchangeable.
                          1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

• NEW DEVELOPMENT in the swap....

A few of you may have seen my post on Max-Suzuki....but it IS confirmed that a 2GB12 DOES use the EXACT same speedo sensor as the '98+ Katana. I've also gone through the microfiche sites, and both bikes list the same parts:

Speedo pickup sensor
                            #11361-19E00

Speedo rotor
                            #34981-35F00

The 3p connector plugs on the harness are also the same, as confirmed by the nice folks over at SpeedoHealer....Therefore, making this swap from late-model Bandit into late-model Katana - you should be able to get a working speedo - no need for fabrication of any kind.
                            FrankenKat 1216
                            GS Fiter 816
                            GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• I appreciate the info. Out of the 3 choices you listed...the old GSXR engine or (1127) are all of these choices carbuerated. Ultimately where I'm going with this is, I would like to swap my 750 out for a newer gsxr 1000 motor, but I believe that most all fuel injected engines are also water and oil cooled. Would it be harder? And out of the 3 choices, are any of them oil and water cooled also? I found and old 1127 and a new gsxr 1000 motor on ebay right now here is the link. Auctions end right now for one and in a few hours for the other, but I would really like some insight before spending the $. Hopefully I can locate another one, if I miss out this time!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ViewItem&item=4639981299&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

"Keeps it movin"

"Mean people SUCK......Nice people Swallow!"

Comment

• 1127cc to 1300cc is it possible

I just bought a 1992 GSXF1100 katana motor 1127cc, the engine I.D. # is V706-110345.
                                I am very serious and interested in getting as much out of the motor performance-wise,
                                without actually turning it into a dragbike(would like to keep it a good street bike). I am putting this engine in a 2004
                                katana 750 frame. I would like to know what big bore kits are out there that would work for me. I would like to overbore it to 1350cc, is that even possible?
                                Just give me your recommendations. I am also interested in performance camshafts,
                                valves, pump, etc., the WHOLE NINE YARDS!!
                                "Keeps it movin"

"Mean people SUCK......Nice people Swallow!"

Comment

Working...
                                X