X

Pickup coil magnet broken, 93 600F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup coil magnet broken, 93 600F

Would a broken magnet (the one located behind the pickup coil) be the cause of minimal signal being sent from the pickup coil (signal generator) to the CDI and ignition coils respectively?

My bike will generate only slight spark, and will not run. So I decided to take the sig gen assembly apart where I discovered the broken maget behind the pickup coil, split right down the middle. So now rather than having one magnet with N/S polarity I have two indidvidual magnets repelling each other. I would assume this would cause the pickup coil to work inefficiently/irradically thus causing the minimal signal being sent through the following ingition system.

Anyone else had this problem, and does anyone have on of these magnets they could spare me. Otherwise I will have to buy an entire assembly for over $200.

Thanks all!!

Any "pickup" will result in firing the coils..
    The spark intensity is not related to the
    strength of the magnet..

A cracked or damaged magnet would result in
    erratic spark but not a weak one..

Comment

What about the potential to throw off the timing so significantly that even if the spark is at a sufficient intensity to cause ignition within the cylider but at the incorrect instant?

Comment

If it's broken, replace it. Contact SpecialK to see if he has one laying around... 88 - 95 should fit.

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ha ha, already questioned the man!

Comment

Yes, and yes, and YES (I have some!)

PM response sent back!
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

well the new magnet and picup coil didn't fix the minimal spark problem ----- I just don't get it, the bike sparks but not with the intensity it should. The ignition coils check out okay, the electrical system seems to work properly (even with another wiring harness from a 92 installed)....the battery is brand new and so are the spark plugs ---- can the problem be in the charging system (alternator???)

HELP

Comment

Not if the battery's brand new and fully charged .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You might want to work your way through this webpage of mine, on troubleshooting charging system issues:

CyberPoet's "Motorcycle Electrical and Charging System diagnostics, troubleshooting and repair" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, now selling 400 degree all-weather oil temp gauges for oil-cooled and oil-air cooled motorcycles!

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm not entirely sure that it's a charging issue at all....I have never had ANY charging, or low battery problems in the past --- but at this point I'm considering any possible explanation that might get me riding again

....maybe there's just not enough air in the tires...

Comment

Originally posted by benchfalco View Post
                      I'm not entirely sure that it's a charging issue at all....I have never had ANY charging, or low battery problems in the past --- but at this point I'm considering any possible explanation that might get me riding again

....maybe there's just not enough air in the tires...
                      Hi benchfalco,
                      Have you fix your bike?
                      I'm having the same issue and no solution.
                      An answer would be much appreciated.

Comment

Ummm, I'm sure it was......they last posted in 2005
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I do believe he did fix it.
                          But I was looking for the solution.
                          I know the last post was on 2005 but this is the only place on the Web where I've found this issue.
                          I needed to try.

Comment

All you had to do was start a thread with your issue and we can guide you on what you need to do. If your melting the pickup there are 2 reasons overheating the engine or overcharging.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                            X