X

I'm absolutely stumped.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm absolutely stumped.

New to the site. Hope someone can help. Im confused. I'm a trained auto tech who isnt new to bikes but obviously have more to learn. I can give as much back story as needed but to be quick Im getting spark to the plug and now it wont run off carb spray. It did when I bought it. A lot has been done but no reason I know to get spark pulse and carb spray but not run. ignition box not timing maybe? Not an idiot but feel like one.

Plugs wires on the wrong plugs, comes to mind. Left coil 1&4 cylinders, right 2&3 cylinders doesn't matter what wire from the appropriate coil as long as the coil mates up to the correct cylinder set.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Wires are 1/4,2/3, white - black- on coils orange constant 12v on both coils. Looking into tps resistance and seems way out of spec. Was running on ether before I pulled the carbs. Never touched throttle sensor except to unplug it.

Comment

The TPS has nothing to do with it. Have you pulled the plugs after attempting to start it? Are they wet, dry or fouled?
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

New and they do get wet. Ngkr cr9ek plugs.

Comment

Plug wire on the correct plugs? Left coil 1/4, right coil 2/3. What is your input voltage to the coils while turning over the engine? Should be 11+volts for a good hot spark.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Plug wires are correct. Was using a deep cycle at 12.6v but spent on a new legit battery at 12.4 in case that was a factor.

Comment

Is this a 98+ model? If yes, does it have the original ignition switch unmodified on it?

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

2001. When I bought it it didnt have a key but I had one molded from ignition instead of replacing all the locks. I'm pretty sure its the factory one. Key worked on everything except gas cap (tank rusted worst Ive ever seen). Thats the main reason I was running off carb spray. Sounded great. Pulled carbs to clean jets (budget build) and figured I might as well pull the plugs to clean them (seriously, I'm poor). Plug caps were falling apart. I cleaned plugs and reinstalled boots and clean carbs. No run. Bought new coils (cut wires to length using factory as reference). New ngk resistor caps and plugs. Nada. Put inline spark tester on 1 and 2 at the same time (different coils) and flashing bright. Spray ether while flashing and not a hick up. Switched coil signal wires just to see. Nada. Decent with a meter and schematics so I can give any readings needed. Gotta be missing something. Thanks for the help by the way.

Comment

Am I wrong about the tps affecting spark advance through the ignition control box?

Comment

Yes but, it's more for low rpm power vs the entire rpm range advancement. That is built in to the ignition box.
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

When the starter is turning the motor over, what is the measured voltage at the coils?

Under 11v = no start.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Can someone tell me what the orange and red wire from ignition to ignitor is for?

Comment

Working...
                          X