X

pre98 with post98 caliper swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Court93kat View Post
    I have been thinking and thinking about the original poster's situation. I just remembered someone saying that the post 98 calipers are not DOP (dual opposing piston) calipers. I have never had a pre and post caliper side by side to compare, but if the newer ones don't have pistons on the back side, wouldn't that make them thinner on the inside? I can only assume the spokes of the post rims are slightly thicker than the spokes on the pre rims since I've never had them side by side either. Just a thought I wanted to add to this discussion.
    You are correct the posts are 2 piston and the pre's have 4 pistons.

Tmod

Comment

when I did this swap on my gs500, (which had a kat 750 fe swap) the caliper on the left side was barely touching the caliper. I was able to fix that issue by removing the suzuki cast lettering on the spokes of the wheel with a dremel tool and a sanding disc on it. unless closely scrutinizing the rim, you never notice, and I'm the only one that gets that close to my bike!
      89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Okay so here are a few pictures of what my problem is. I measured the spoke on my post wheel as 1.25 in my pre wheel is 1.0ish. Also notice the silver scuffs on the wheel...

Now notice the slight scuff on the center dimple of my brake cylinder...

As far as I can tell post wheels don't roll onto pre kats so far How far down can i grind on that brake caliper without ruining it?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy_nash View Post
          I was able to fix that issue by removing the suzuki cast lettering on the spokes of the wheel with a dremel tool and a sanding disc on it.
          89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Not only are the post caliper 2 pot opposed to the pre being 4 pot, but the 98+ stem and top tree are spaced further apart also. It's very minimal, I'm talking like 4 millimeters.

Comment

I have grinded away as much of the casting as I can without digging into the wheel spoke and leaving a gap... I do understand about the caliber size I have a set of post calipers in the garage... my issue is some people have said this works... why isn't mine?

Comment

No, it DEFIANTLY works, no doubt about it. I have 0 clue why yours doesn't. Something must be bent somewhere. As far as a 98+ top tree:
                top triple tree Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 98-02
                I know I have a steering stem around here too. I'll throw that in for free.
                PM me.
                Last edited by arsenic; 03-04-2011, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I'd rather stay with the bigger post calipers... know of anyone with new pre forks?

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderRC View Post
                    I have grinded away as much of the casting as I can without digging into the wheel spoke and leaving a gap... I do understand about the caliber size I have a set of post calipers in the garage... my issue is some people have said this works... why isn't mine?

If it's rubbing, you have a 03+ wheel. 98-02 wheels will bolt right up, and not rub. I can take some pics and show you if you would like on the roller frame I have at home with pre 600 forks and a post 02 front wheel with tire. Had no issues at all.

The 03+ wheels are slightly wider at the hub and spokes.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

no, in his pic that is a 98-02 wheel. Look at the rotors. The bigger calipers are pre, not post. You can use the 98+ stem with pre forks and calipers and what not. That's what the DREAM project bike has.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        no, in his pic that is a 98-02 wheel. Look at the rotors. The bigger calipers are pre, not post. You can use the 98+ stem with pre forks and calipers and what not. That's what the DREAM project bike has.

Okay, I spent some one on one time with my roller frame that has pre 600 front end and calipers. Didn't take pics, because it wouldn't have shown anything different.

My setup has 1/2mil (.5mil) clearance between calipers and rotors. IT's super tight, but does not rub or touch on the wheel.

After looking and giving it some though... I have a resolution for the OP that has the issue where it does rub.

Put 1-2mm washers on the axle, between any of the original spacers both sides. Start with 1 each side 1mm.

In addition... I would also make sure your bearings are in good shape and not damaged from a prior mounting where someone over tightened the axle, pushing the centers of the bearings out of alignment.

This will fix the issues your having by moving the caliper away from the wheel instead of having to grind/cut anything.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just to add my experience to the thread.
                          I did a post wheel swap. The front wheel did touch the spoke letters on the cast. To solve this I filled down the "bump" on the back of the calliper about 2-3mm.
                          More, the tyre would rub against the fender, to solve this I cutted the fender on the "offending" area.
                          GSX 600f '88
                          ------------
                          Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

Working...
                          X