No announcement yet.
X

Help with paint job...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really prefer to do any big repairs on plastic, with plastic. A soldering iron and a package of zip ties will go a long way in fixing cracks and such. For small stuff (little knicks and deep scratches) you can use spot putty. I usually prime, then spot putty, sand, and then prime again. I get nervous about the spot putty not sticking to bare plastic.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I also use Evercoat, was recommended to me by professional body guy and I have stayed the course. It dries fast and sands smooth.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

UPDAAAATES:

got myself a sanding block, some 120 and 220 grit sandpaper.....my body guy said the 80 was WAY to aggressive....working on fixing holes, chips, warps, etc....

the problem i have run into is that the right left side fairing does not match up with the gauge bezel at all...there is a huge gap large enough to lose my keys down

i tried heating up the fairing with my heat gun to bend it back to its proper place, but when i started to reshape....the plastics cracked >.<

does anyone have any ideas why this happened/how to fix it....did i not heat it long enough? was the heat uneven...should i just through on a ton of evercoat and reshape it that way? i think if i try to weld on some new plastics the seam will not be smooth so im trying to stay away from that....

filling holes and cracks

panels all sanded down....moving on to the tank -.- more sanding
        Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
        '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

What did you use for cement over your cracks?
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
            What did you use for cement over your cracks?
            loctite epoxy made for plastics. it says it sets in 7 minutes, mine was still VERY tacky at 7 minutes..i let it sit outside under the sun the next day (while riding it, hehehe) and by the next morning it was rock solid...cured perfectly and then i sanded away....i dont have pictures of what it looks like now, but it is great, after sanding, to the touch it feels perfect.
            Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
            '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

any more progress on this bike. im curious to see how its looking, i have to do alot of body work to my fairings and and trying to get as many ideas as possible

Comment

Yeah, I moved it to this thread

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.
                Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Working...
                X