X

1982 Katana Colors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post
    Yes, rattle can. I scrubbed the engine to within an inch of its life and then scrubbed a little more. I also used a hot pressure washer with a spinning nozzle which is pretty aggressive at close range. That and soaking it with purple cleaner mixed 50/50 with water. I used Scotchbrite to remove the oxidation/flaking coating and scuffed every sq in of coating that remained.

On the paint, I bought Rust-O-leum paint and primer and Duplicolor paint and primer engine paint. I had some chrome-moly tubing (smooth OD) that I primed and painted with the different paints as samples. I liked both colors but the Rust-O-leum shot kind of thin allowing it to run easily which allows the metallic bits to pool. I couldn't shoot wet coats with it and could with the Duplicolor. Although the Duplicolor sample looked the best, both paints proved to be tough after allowed to cure. I hosed them down with carb cleaner and it didn't kill the finish.

The next time this engine is out of the frame, it will be because I need to go into it. When that time comes, I'll do it right and shoot it with catalyzed paint on the individual components. I've restored many bikes but have never had one that I didn't have to go through the engine first.

There is nothing to what I've done here other than a bunch of labor. All the covers were wet sanded with 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit before going to the buffing wheel. Mindless work but a means to an end.

Z
    have you ever primed an engine before? any that I have ever seen done didn't last that long cuz of the heat. I was told it was because the high heat can cause the primer to heat/shrink as it got hot then cooled off, which caused it to lift off after a while. I never primed an engine first, so I don't know for certainty what it does.

it all look great, though. if you need any spare engine parts, I have quite a few parts I need to unload and make room in my garage. got a few frames and other parts as well. no body parts...I keep those as spares.
    have a wiring harness and such as well.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

What a great build thread! I hope to have one of my own when I finally get off the bike for five minutes so I can start the disassembly.

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
      it all look great, though. if you need any spare engine parts, I have quite a few parts I need to unload and make room in my garage. got a few frames and other parts as well. no body parts...I keep those as spares.
      have a wiring harness and such as well.
      Hey Mojoe, I'm looking for a centerstand for my 82 Kat, do you have one? Also need a stock exhaust system if anyone out there has one. I had PM'd Ray twice about one he had but never heard back. I know he didn't want to ship to Canada due to the size of the system... anyone closer have one in good shape?
      1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by exc911ence View Post
        Hey Mojoe, I'm looking for a centerstand for my 82 Kat, do you have one? Also need a stock exhaust system if anyone out there has one. I had PM'd Ray twice about one he had but never heard back. I know he didn't want to ship to Canada due to the size of the system... anyone closer have one in good shape?
        I do have one stand for sure, but that was promised to johnod. poor guy has been waiting forever for it because I need it to hold up the bike until I am finished stripping it down.

I may have another, but it will be at least 3-4 weeks before I get at all those boxes to see. so if you are not in a hurry, I may be able to help you out.

Comment

I do have one stand for sure, but that was promised to johnod. poor guy has been waiting forever for it because I need it to hold up the bike until I am finished stripping it down.

I may have another, but it will be at least 3-4 weeks before I get at all those boxes to see. so if you are not in a hurry, I may be able to help you out.
          No hurry here, bike is stored at a friend's heated shop until spring.

Dave

Comment

I just took the exhaust system off the Kat so it is ready but I really think shipping could be pricey. Ray.
            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
              I just took the exhaust system off the Kat so it is ready but I really think shipping could be pricey. Ray.
              UPS Ground to my "local" American UPS Store (see below) wouldn't be that much I wouldn't think. Besides, I'm paying!

The UPS Store
              2981 FORD ST EXTENSION
              OGDENSBURG, NY 13669-3474

If you wouldn't mind getting me a quote, I'd really appreciate it Ray!

Dave

Comment

The problem right now is to find a box BIG enough but I will see what I can do today. Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Not completely out of the woods yet....

Still dealing with carb issues but getting close. I've worked with Mikuni VM's, Keihins, Amals, S&S, etc. for years but usually in twin or single carb applications. I have never had dealings with CV's, much less, four at a time. I could ride it like it is but know that they are not as close as they could or should be. No missing or stumbling but it just doesn't "turn on" like it used to.

Besides the lack of knowledge, I lacked the tools (for 4-cyl) to do it right. I've got the tools on order and will hopefully have them by this weekend. I've seen bits and pieces on the net on "how to" but seems like I don't have the whole picture or procedure.

Therefore, pardon the stupid question but how is intake vacuum used to adjust the butterflies if the mixture circuit is not set the same on all the carbs? Looking at it from a stand point of trying to pull a vacuum on a "container" with two known leaks (around the butterfly & the pilot circuit)...I would think that if all the pilot circuits are not set the same, how can you end up the the butterflies set the same? It would seem that you would be correcting for the differences in the pilot circuits with the butterflies. I would guess that your chances would be better if the butterflies were mechnically/physically sync'd before they are put on the bike but I feel sure that shops in the day didn't pull the carbs to check the starting position. Am I missing something or just thinking about it too much?

Z
                  Last edited by zackybilly1; 11-05-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

What a difference...

Double checked timing to stock setting. Received the Motion Pro manometer...kind of Mickey Mouse but got the job done. Prior to installing, I sync'd them on the bench as closely as possible but that is useless for anything other than a starting point. Wound up with mixture screws too far out and therefore, drilled out my 45 pilots to .017". Now all mixture screws are in the range of 2.5 to 3.0 rounds out. Tuned for max vaccuum/rpms....smooth transistion across the circuits...130 mains. Should have a ColorTune job in here this week and will try it just to confirm what I already have.

Although I was close on my settings before, it is amazing how well this thing runs when fed the proper diet.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                      The problem right now is to find a box BIG enough but I will see what I can do today. Ray.
                      hey ray...try wrapping the exhaust up instead of boxing it. bubble wrap, an old blanket, scrap pieces of sponge foam....I have used them all. just wrap it up in something cushiony and wrap the sh*t outta the whole thing with packing tape. works pretty good that way.

Comment

hey ray...try wrapping the exhaust up instead of boxing it. bubble wrap, an old blanket, scrap pieces of sponge foam....I have used them all. just wrap it up in something cushiony and wrap the sh*t outta the whole thing with packing tape. works pretty good that way.
                        I don't care if it takes me 3 days to unwrap it, Mojoe's suggestion sounds great!

Dave

Comment

Colortune Blues...

We'll I received the Colortune gizmo and although my bike is running good, I figured I'd give it a try as tuning 4-cylinders/CV's is new to me. Wasn't too impressed.

Warmed the bike up, pulled the tank, rigged up syncronizer & auxillary tank. Installed the Colortune in hole No. 3 and fired it up. Enrichened the mixture to get the orange color and started leaning it out until it turned back to blue. Per the instructions, you continue leaning it out until the rpm's dropped and then, enrichen 1/2 between orange & the rpm drop. Repeated same on remaining pots. Appeared to be too rich and went back to using rpm's & vacuum pulled. I can tell more from plug chops in the range of interest with bead-blasted plugs (takes color quicker) than anything else I've tried.

In a nutshell, for me, the Colortune is interesting but isn't all that. It lets you know when its grossly over-rich, if you didn't already and everything from that point on is subjective. I'm going to build the pipes for Kat No. 2 and they will have individual bungs on the pipes for an wideband O2 sensor. Never stop learning.

Z

Comment

"13L" is the code fron wilton's page...

Comment

1982sz

Thanks for the paint code but I had some color-correct parts scanned and came up with a good match. This bike is back together and on the road. Got about 1600 miles on it since freshening up and it feels good to have it back on the road. It turns more heads than my riding buddies modern bikes. I'm running Battleaxes but am looking at going with some Avons soon.

Z

Comment

Working...
                              X