X

blank farings???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blank farings???

Hey, i'm getting ready to redo my 02-600 and the plastics are in bad shape, so i wanted to buy blank (primered) ones so i can start from scratch. Does ne one know where i can buy plastics from. All help is appreciated.

thanx, ryan

I have never seen new unpainted fairings available anywhere for the 98+ model katana's. The suzuki inventory system carries them pre-painted from the factory (advantage: perfect color match & perfect shape - disadvantage: price & the fact that they are prepainted in stock colors if you want something else).

Aside from that, used is the route to go. PM BraadaJim and ask him what he has in stock, and scour eBay as well. Expect that anything you find will either need some repair (even if it shipped in good shape, they usually get scratches before arrival), and sanding/prep/paint.

Most fairings can be repaired with a plastic welder (or other plastic-repair method) and patience. The fairing is made of ABS plastic and that means new plastic can be melted into place provided the heat is in the right temp zone (allowing you to reattach broken pieces, fix holes and fill gouges). Eastwood Automotive (search the web) carries plastic welding kits, and some members here have used electric soldering guns with wide tips to do it as well. You can also theoretically mix keytone and grated ABS powder (think plumbing pipe grated into a powder) to form a paste that will harden back into ABS plastic when it dries.

Cheers
    =-= The Cyberpoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
    X