X

oil change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change

Does synthetic oil do any good for real? My kat is 2004 kat 600 with 4K miles on it now. Do I get any benefit with synthetic oil over regular one?

personally, I would not use synthetic oil in any bike with a wet clutch system. I heard that over time you will screw your clutch. maybe true....maybe not.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Search. It's all been discussed extensively.
      Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

I use regular MC oil in the Kat and she has yet to have problems. But then again I use only synthetic in the truck and no problems there either!

typo edit
        "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
        JOHN 16:33

Comment

I use semi synthetic, a happy medium between the two.
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Use the semi synthetic its a little cheaper and you get the benefit of both. Plus I don't think it will mess with your clutch as much.

Comment

A motorcycle-specific synthetic will usually give you smoother shifting and better protection for the long-haul, and it won't affect your clutch. It'll normally also have a higher vapor temperature as well (which is a good thing in an air-oil cooled bike like the Kat).

To really understand what they mean by "synthetic", you have to consider "synthetic" as "not occuring in nature". Traditional motor oils have molecular chains of varying lengths, and only some of those are the ideal length to actually do the job of lubricating particularly effectively. A synthetic (as the term is applied in the USA) means that the molecules are all the same length at the time it comes out of the bottle, meaning all the oil molecules are the ideal length for lubrication at the outset.

There are certain advantages of having all the oil molecules start out the perfect length -- it'll take longer for a large enough number of them to be broken down to the point that oil isn't lubricating sufficiently. It also permits the manufacturers to bundle a larger quantity of detergents and other beneficial additives, because they are starting out with a higher percentage of effective lubricating molecules (to put that another way, if Brand X Dino Oil has 70% ideal length and adds 1% detergents, you have 69% ideal lubrication coverage by volume -- if Brand Y Full-Synthetic adds 4% detergents [4 times as much as Brand X], they still have 96% lubrication coverage by volume, a much higher amount PLUS they have a much higher detergent load).

Obviously there's a lot of work involved in coaxing all the molecules to be the same exact length, and there's a couple different ways of doing it (building the molecule chains from scratch, or taking existing chains and breaking the longer ones [cracking] & joining the shorter ones [binding] until they are all ideal length). It doesn't really matter how they get all of the molecules the same "ideal" length, what matters is that they are more effective than the alternative for your purposes.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X