X

Katana Mods

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Mods

Ok, I just got this 600 and I'd like to increase the HP and torque a little bit. It has a Yoshi pipe, but that's basically it. I heard it may have been jetted, but I have nothing to confirm it. Oh, seeing as how I'm only 5'7, I'd like to lower it a little bit, as well.

What are some other mods I could do to this bike?

Thanks.

You need a full exhaust system to get increase horsepower, from the header back. I do not think slip-ons does much for hp gain. You can also do a timing advance. You can also get a K&N filter or pod filters and you need to Jet it as well.

To lower it, you need dog bones.

If you havent chopped the shovel/fender as yet, that is the first thing everyone here does. Put on a fender eliminator kit. What year is your kat?
    Check out www.speedy.com to check out speedy's bike. Check out the kat of the month to see what others did to their kats as well. Just browse the forum, and you'll get lots of ideas.
    Roops Photography|facebook|
    03 GSXR 1000
    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

I have a 2000 Katana 600.

You just mentioned a lot of different mods. How much do you think all of it will cost?

Thanks.

Comment

I don't see speedy bikes on that site...I guess is not the right one then?

Im looking into doing some stuff to my bike too, so I will like to know about this stuff too.

Comment

Re: Katana Mods

Originally posted by SL1D3R
          Ok, I just got this 600 and I'd like to increase the HP and torque a little bit. It has a Yoshi pipe, but that's basically it. I heard it may have been jetted, but I have nothing to confirm it.
          Remove the tank and pull off the top cover from one of the carbs. Lift up the rubber diaphram and take out the needle (be sure to catch the spacer). Then compare that needle to these to figure out if it has been jetted:

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Now to go on:
            A full exhaust won't net you significant power increases on a 98+ model kat. Neither will a K&N. The best investment for more power everywhere is the Ivan's Jetkit (about $130) and a trip to the dyno to fine-tune it afterwards ($35 - $100).

An ignition advancer will move the torque curve down the RPM range a bit, causing the bike to produce more power earlier, especially in the lower gears. For most street riders, this is a desirable trade (since few street riders tend to run full-out most of the time). If you are planning on installing one, install it before the bike goes to the dyno for carb tuning...

Changing the sprocket ratios can increase the off-the-line acceleration, although you'll be running a higher RPM for any given speed and lose a bit off the top end.

Good Luck!
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Heres a few links, just do a search, you'll find plenty

R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

hey cyber,have you been a bike mechanic before?where the hell did you learn all this stuff?

Comment

Welcome and congrats on your Kat.
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                    hey cyber,have you been a bike mechanic before?where the hell did you learn all this stuff?
                    I RTFM'd...

=-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

o great one

Comment

You're Welcome,
                        - The Social Invalid

Comment

I agree. He certainly knows his stuff. Thanks for your help.

I'm very surprised that those modifications are so inexpensive. It cost me over $200 for my muffler plus installation on my old Honda, and all it did was give my car a fart sound.

Well, I'm incredibly overwhelmed and realize that I don't know very much about motorcycles.

I dare not take anything off for fear that I'll break my bike somehow. But, once I get it to my home base I'll start to findle around with things and see what I can do.

Thanks again.

Comment

just dont break it LOL we can help fix it

Comment

increase torque/hp/speed

I am not a subject matter expert but here some food for thought, maybe cyber can elaborate on it more, but you could cheaply change your sprocket sizes to yield more toque OR top speed. Of course you cant can't have your cake and eat it too....hp/torque/speed....just from sprocket changing, but you maybe able to get the one thats MOST important to YOU!!!!!!!!!
                              "Keeps it movin"

"Mean people SUCK......Nice people Swallow!"

Comment

Working...
                              X