X

Pick a windscreen for me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick a windscreen for me

I'm planning the next step (after I have sanded/buffed all my newly painted parts). I think this is going to be a windscreen change. If you were good with fiberglass, could fill in the gaps and weren't afraid to cut your bike (because after all you can fix your errors with fiberglass) what screen would you choose for a pre?

At present I'm considering going with a yamaha double bubble windscreen, filling in the gaps with fiberglass and painting fiberglass the same color as the body. I am good enough with fiberglass that I can make this look like it was the natural design of the bike all along.

Thoughts?
    Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

I thinks thats one problem with the pre's. The windscreen looks kinda weird (from front view). I like it smoked, but looks like it doesn't belong. I'd love to have a fiberglass piece that would cover the bottom (color match to bike) and make it blend in. I did see one on ebay I think would of looked good. (the bottom was blue and faded into clear, but I missed end of auction)

Comment

Originally posted by barryjay View Post
      I thinks thats one problem with the pre's. The windscreen looks kinda weird (from front view). I like it smoked, but looks like it doesn't belong. I'd love to have a fiberglass piece that would cover the bottom (color match to bike) and make it blend in. I did see one on ebay I think would of looked good. (the bottom was blue and faded into clear, but I missed end of auction)
      It would be very easy to create a piece that covers the bottom of the windscreen. There are two ways to do this and both have problems. 1) You could create a piece that sits over the windscreen and can be painted to match the body color. Since the stock screen is flush with the fairings though the cover piece would stick out a bit. 2) You could cut the windscreen and create a piece that sits in the cut out area. If I'm going to do this I'd rather change to another screen altogether.

There's actually a 3rd option too. You could paint a portion of the windscreen so that it matches the body color rather than having black randomly show up with whatever color is on your bike. My screen is in fair condition so I'd rather get something else that makes my kat unique.

If you chose to paint yours you would have to cover the area you didn't want painted with painters tape. It's actually pretty easy to do. Then clean and sand down the rest with about 600 and then 1000 grit paper....maybe 2000 depending upon your paint and spray gun. Spray it with bulldog, then paint, then clear.

If you like what I do with mine I could create a duplicate piece that would allow you to purchase the same screen. I would assume that what fits my pre would fit yours as well.
      Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

give me an update when ya have one.

Comment

Working...
        X