X

Gas tank problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank problems

Ok I have a couple problems with my gas tank and petcock. I have a suzuki katana 600 from 1997. I recently found out that the petcock doesn't stop letting fuel out of the gas tank. And the hose that goes from the petcock to the carburetor connects to the petcock has a small tear in it, which is wear the dripping is. Should I get a rebuild kit or what? The other thing is that there is a loud vibrating noise coming from the gas tank area when my rpms hit about 4000 and I'm not sure what it is... Ok fire away

1) yes on the rebuild kit 2) are all of the isolators in place, large rubber piece on the frame @ the neck and two rubber grommets at the rear mount. Is the fuel cap tight? Other than that,drain the tank and check the condition of the inside and anything under under it that may cause the noise.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So I fixed the leak but that noise is still there... I tried moving the tubes under the gas rank around and I made sure everything was where it should be but I still heard it. Also I found out that from when I got my bike, the petcock was on prime, which I thought was just the on position. Could that have screwed anything up

Comment

Prim won't hurt anything as long as your cabs are functioning properly. Could be the fuel cap.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yea I checked it and I think your right. I'm pretty sure the the cap to the fuel tank is making that noise. I tried tightening it but it doesn't work. Should I just get a new one?

Comment

There's a rubber gasket in there, could be dried out.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              There's a rubber gasket in there, could be dried out.
              Should I buy a new fuel cap. Will it harm my bike at all if I keep riding like this

Comment

I dont think so...but you might have water get in the tank if it's not sealing correctly. That could cause some issues (tank rusting, rust clogging carbs, bad gas, etc) down the road.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                  I dont think so...but you might have water get in the tank if it's not sealing correctly. That could cause some issues (tank rusting, rust clogging carbs, bad gas, etc) down the road.
                  So what should I do. I see what rubber gasket your talking about. Should I buy a new one

Comment

Working...
                  X