X

another one falls

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another one falls

well technically yes. it was before bar time, and we both did not have anything to drink, hence leaving early since we got bored. i offered her a ride back to her place, which is like 5 blocks away. she's ridden with me twice before, but no other times with any other rider. i offered her my helmet as usual.

when i mounted and got myself positioned, i noticed that the bike went awfully heavy towards my left, she had tried to get on too early. all i remember was trying to get the bike back up, but i just slowly let it down.

i asked her right away if she was ok. she was, standing straight up with a scare on her face. the bike slowly died on its side. i was thinking, 'oops.'

she kept apologizing, but i said it was ok. i was worried about lifting it up by myself. sure enough i remembered the 'how to lift your bike off its side' thread...that didn't help me at all. so the bike was on its side, VERY slight incline towards the back, since it was a curb. i grabbed the front break, both handle bars, and up it went. full tank and everything. now i'm 5'7", 150 lbs, average shape, i think anyone can lift up a bike with proper body mechanics. i guess working as a CNA helps too.

so there. not much damage, but a story to tell.

That sucks bro!
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

It happens. the worst is when some one is looking. glad it all is ok

Comment

that reminds me of this thing i saw on TV a while back. They had a Goldwing on its side and was demonstrating how easy it was to lift such a heavy back back up. Had these normal sized men out there trying to just lift it and it wouldn't hardly move, then they had a 5 year old lil boy walk over to it and with his hands in the proper places just pushed it right back up. Was so funny seeing the looks on the guys faces who had just tried it.
        Life's a beach, high tide comes and goes.

Comment

Been there done that...but fortunately when I dropped mine there weren't many people around but you still do that little head turn to see who's looking

How long was the bike down before you were able to pick it back up? I assume it started ok for you afterwards?

Comment

I have a rule about pre-ride breifings for passengers... every person, and it includes:
            asking & waiting for permission to step on (so I'm ready for you);
            ditto on getting off;
            tapping me after you get on and are settled & ready to go to let me know it's safe to roll away;
            signals to stop now, faster, slower, cops, etc.
            info on why to NEVER EVER LEAN to the inside of the turn when we're banked over (or any other time).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

one of my buddies saw the whole deal, he's like, "how much have you had to drink?!" jokingly. other than that there were bystanders.

the bike was down for...20-30 seconds? i briefly tried the 'recommended' technique for lifting, but quickly gave up to my way. the bike took a couple tries to get it started.

i do normally ask people those questions, but she had been with me twice before, but it was my fault that i didn't tell her to wait.

after the post this morning, i checked it out in sunlight. there are pretty much no scuffs anywhere to my surprise. good thing it didn't plop over to the right side, yikes.

Comment

I say the chick owes you...BIGTIME!!

Comment

i've known her since 5th grade, she's like a sister almost.

so yeah, she does owe me!

Comment

Wonder what she could pay you back with? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmer

Comment

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! beer....

Comment

Working...
                      X