X

600 mile service

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve_Guelph
    Thanks for the reply in regards to warranty. I wonder if the same hold true for Canada.
    No clue...
    Suggest you do some research and find out, then let us know.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I never brought my back in for the 600mile service. due the oil change yourself...tension the chain,put air in the tires give it a commonsense going over..forget the warrenty. chances are nothing is going to go wrong on the bike,its bullet proof. if you feel the need get the valves adjusted, most dealerships dont do it at 600miles, get it done by a trusted mechanic,take the plastic,mirrors,windscreen ect. off yourself ,that will save you a hell of alot on labor charges.

Comment

How can you tell if they adj valves, they could just bs you correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Colt
          In theory, yes, they could. The easiest way to know for sure would be to put a little tape (or tape dot) on the valve covers in the front, just behind the oil cooler -- if they aren't going into the valves, the tape won't move (because they won't do anything to disturb it). If they adjust the valves, it'll break seal and you'll notice.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i recommend what i did, do the oil change yourself. not much else for them to do except lookover it on a 600 mile check. i was charged half an hour labor. $33

Comment

Originally posted by fordfurious
              i recommend what i did, do the oil change yourself. not much else for them to do except lookover it on a 600 mile check. i was charged half an hour labor. $33
              Sorry but you are so wrong. The valves require adjustment. Period. If you don't want to do it that is your choice...but don't tell others not to do it because the oil is the only thing to do besides look at the bike. This is one of the most important things to do to a new Kat. Sorry but that is not good advice to give someone that doesn't know any better.

Comment

Originally posted by fordfurious
                Sorry but you are so wrong. The valves require adjustment. Period. If you don't want to do it that is your choice...but don't tell others not to do it because the oil is the only thing to do besides look at the bike. This is one of the most important things to do to a new Kat. Sorry but that is not good advice to give someone that doesn't know any better.
                i agree with Steve
                One who is a Samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night... the fact that he has to die." -- The Code of the Samurai

Comment

Originally posted by Colt
                  I've sometimes requested to be physically at the shop when they are performing the work to my vehicles. I'll even have them call me just before the work is initiated so I have the option to be there in person. This way I'm more confident that either:

A - the mechanic is informed of my pending visit and will perform the correct work/service.
                  B - the mechanic thinks I'm coming onsite and would be less likely to falsify his/her work.

Either way, I think it's worth mentioning to the shop (I don't see any downside to doing this).

It should keep the shop mechanics more honest. I'm sure they don't want me looking over their shoulder, but we spend big $$$ for quality service.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
                    I've sometimes requested to be physically at the shop when they are performing the work to my vehicles. I'll even have them call me just before the work is initiated so I have the option to be there in person. It should keep the shop mechanics more honest. I'm sure they don't want me looking over their shoulder, but we spend big $$$ for quality service.
                    Then again, you had the same opinion as Colt initially (that they shouldn't need it) -- and when I rode over to your place and helped you do your first valve adjustment, how many valves were in need of adjustment?

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                      Originally posted by FloridaKat
                      I've sometimes requested to be physically at the shop when they are performing the work to my vehicles. I'll even have them call me just before the work is initiated so I have the option to be there in person. It should keep the shop mechanics more honest. I'm sure they don't want me looking over their shoulder, but we spend big $$$ for quality service.
                      Then again, you had the same opinion as Colt initially (that they shouldn't need it) -- and when I rode over to your place and helped you do your first valve adjustment, how many valves were in need of adjustment?

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Oh man......no doubt that my valves were in desperate need of an adjustment. At least 4 valves were too tight and I think 2 were on the loose side (at 2,000 miles on a 2005 750). Carbs were in desperate need of adjustment too.

I'm a big believer in doing it yourself, but for those times that someone doesn't feel comfortable then that's when I suggest doing what I mentioned above. I just introduce enough doubt to the shop that I'm hoping the Service Manager walks over to the mechanic and says, "make sure you do a good job on his vehicle. He's a real *sshole.".

As long as I get what I pay for I don't worry about what they think (although I try to be very cordial and amiable).

Comment

DIY. Shops are a rip-off in general. There's nothing on these bikes that can't be done by a person at home with decent mechanical knowledge and a good set of metric hand tools. They were designed and built by people just like you; there's no reason you can't repair or modify them accordingly - there's no magic or hocus-pocus or mystical incantations involved. Bikes are pretty simple animals.
                        ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                        Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Anyone in the Houston area no how to do a valve adj? I'll buy the beer, I would really like to be able to do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by POP944
                            They were designed and built by people just like you; there's no reason you can't repair or modify them accordingly - there's no magic or hocus-pocus or mystical incantations involved.
                            At least on ours

There are some bikes out there that involve quite a bit of mystical incantations (Bimoto Tesi's for example), or more accurately, more specialized equipment and knowledge than a typical rider would have (e.g. - the VTec Honda VFR's and the newest generation of computer-reporting BMW's). Then again, 20 years ago, finding someone outside a garage who understood all the in's-and-out's of VW/Audi ODBC systems was neigh-on-impossible -- these days you can find software for your palm pilot or laptop to plug it into those cars and get all the data you want.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my 600 mile checkup is gonna be done free beacuse its was one of the selling points of buying from that particular dealer and the gas card and tank bra is a good bonus to!!! but everybody gets that

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                                Thanks for the reply in regards to warranty. I wonder if the same hold true for Canada.
                                No clue...
                                Suggest you do some research and find out, then let us know.

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                I did some research and the same holds true for Canada. I was told just keep a log and all my receipts. It is not necessary but may help if you detail the log as in how many valves needed adjustment, list mileage for all service and you won't have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X