X

nice educational video

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice educational video

Great public service spot. DfT (Brit department for Transportation) studies on motorcycling accidents have proven that the average cager takes 1/3rd of 1 second to scan for oncoming traffic at a stop-sign. This is a short enough time frame that a motorcycle can be readily hidden by an A-pillar next to the windshield on many modern cars.

Their studies and others done by such companies as Ford (which employed eye-tracking sensors in the car) showed that the typical car driver looks once for a fraction of a second, and bases the decision to go on a static image that not actually include information on the speed of the approaching vehicles (since they didn't actually watch long enough to get an accurate conception of speed of all the vehicles -- their brain fills in an estimated speed based solely on experiences previously).

Scarey stuff! Burn them highbeams.... use your horn... and expect that you're invisible.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Holy Jeebus that scared the hell outta me !!

Now thats a way to get your point across!

another problem is the people will look both ways as they are rolling to a stop and then once they are actually stopped they dont always think to look again. Just another reminder to all of us on 2 wheels to be on your guard at intersections.

Comment

Didn't see that comin'. Very scary.

Like CyberPoet said......assume nobody can see you!

Comment

That was just posted...
          Worth the repost..
          Though there is some funny camera work.
          The drivers head obscures the view in the first shot.. (The cycle headlight is blocked by him)
          It makes great point!
          Scared the hell out of me too!
          Cool part to me is that the bike was shown going a sane speed.. I'd like to see the USDOT fund one like it!!

Comment

I find myself making sure I make eye contact with people at intersecting roads, If they don't look at my eyes and stare, I slow down. I've been known to honk my wimpy horn a time or two as well on campus to make sure people see me. Actually on campus, you have to worry more about Johnny B. Blazed or Ms. Nosen Book or Mr. Idongivafuk Imagonna Strutmistufacrosdestreetanyway stepping right out into the road in front of you. I'm gonna perfect the art of roundhouse kicking myself over the handle bars to kick dumbasses out of my way and land back on the bike seat.

But, the most dangerous situation so far was getting on to the interstate behind somebody that thought it would be good to ramp and merge at 40 mph. I was scared shitless trying to merge over onto I-75 with no speed with big rigs blowin by me at 85 mph in the right lane. I gave a nice big fat middle finger to the jackass once I got around him.
            What the deuce!?!

Comment

Originally posted by bamarama
              I find myself making sure I make eye contact with people at intersecting roads, If they don't look at my eyes and stare, I slow down. .
              +100

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                I find myself making sure I make eye contact with people at intersecting roads, If they don't look at my eyes and stare, I slow down. .
                +100
                I'll see your 100+...
                ...and double it.
                "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                  +100
                  I'll see your 100+...
                  ...and double it.
                  All in!

Comment

Woah, that motorcycle crash really made a point. I'm going to assume I'm not seen by drivers.
                    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

I just wish the US would run spots like that.
                      Changing my undies now.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax
                        Originally posted by BobKat2002
                        +100
                        I'll see your 100+...
                        ...and double it.
                        All in!
                        I was reminded today of good tip I read a long while back..
                        It pays to watch the passenger..
                        Today I had a SUV cut me off (I was in my car in the right lane)
                        as we approched a light.. Well then the passenger waved hers arms and
                        zoom the SUV cut across two lane into the left turn lane..
                        Luckily no one was coming because the driver couldn't have looked
                        very well.. Sometimes it's the passenger giving directions
                        keeping an eye out for arm waving as in "Shoot no not right LEFT!!"
                        from the passenger will keep you from getting lunched!

Comment

Be careful too about nodding when the driver sees you.. i know sometimes its force of habit that if someone sees you and u see them we nod or wave to acknowledge out of courtesy..but that can be a misinterpreted sign of telling them "hey go ahead", when your really intending for them to wait.

Comment

'Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains" !

Comment

Whoa!! I was expecting a crash from the other posts and it still scared the crap out of me.

Comment

Working...
                              X