No announcement yet.
X

project almost done and im bored...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, thank you to the people who have posted and been of help thus far...all 2 of you lol. I suppose a lack of involvement from people who know more means I have not been stupid enough. Maybe if I were to say that I wanted to turbo charge the motor and push boost in the high 20's and on top of that throw in some nos just for good measure I could get some criticism. But I thankful for the feedback/responses I have gotten.

Comment

I've actually been surprised by the lack of response. Build threads usually get more, even if it's just "post pics!!"
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

So the bike is in at the same place it was last week I guess . I got all excited because all that was left was to clean up the wiring and hook up the lights and the new gauge, but the shop was busy all week and didn't have time to work on the bike much if at all. Oh well...another week I suppose.

Comment

everything is back together and the lights and new gauge are all working. the wiring just needs to be wrapped up and I forgot the long engine mounting bolt so once that's in the bike is done!!! the cheap mirrors wont work with the bars so looks like im paying for a quality set. and a new gas cap is going on. now the bike will be completely keyless with the exception of the transmitter.

Comment

I havnt been on in a while but last time I saw this thread the motor was out and it was a frame basicly wish I knew as much about all that as u did gonna be pretty cool driving something u actually built
            I just wanna ride my bike
            2001 katana 600

Comment

I actually had little to do with the bike being "built", I just chopped up the frame and picked all the parts and stuff I wanted done. The amount of time I had in reality a week to work on the bike was pathetic and I had engine work done by people who actually know what they are doing lol. I could have done the electrical but that's about it other than taking things apart. As soon as I realized that the cams needed to be degreed I figured that I should get it done properly. However it has been almost 6 years almost since I have ridden this bike and I have become rather impatient. I wish I could say I "built" this.
              Last edited by i3notsr; 12-07-2014, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Lol well take some credit ur doing something I havent seen much of and defiantly gonna be something people stop u to talk about
                I just wanna ride my bike
                2001 katana 600

Comment

So...in anticipation that the return of the bike will be within the week. Lets go over all the new parts on the bike...

Dyna 2000
                  Gaffler front and rear brake lines
                  EBC rear rotor
                  EBC double-H pad for rear
                  EBC EPFA road race front pads on stock rotors
                  New chain and sprocket kit (OEM Spec)
                  LSL headlight
                  Universal headlight brackets
                  Vortex 7 degree clip-ons
                  Driven grips
                  Koso DL-03SR GP style gauge
                  Kapsco integrated taillight
                  Kapsco LED arrow turn indicators
                  Motogadget M-Unit control box/center
                  Motogadget M-Lock keyless ignition
                  APE pod air filters
                  APE cam chain tensioner
                  Ebay stupid shorty "GP" exhaust (not going to stay on long...it's give me a lot of tickets loud)
                  Stock downpipe (looking into a better flowing replacement but having trouble)
                  Cylinder head full port and competition valve job done by APE (1800 bucks later)
                  All engine work and re-assembly done by M Racing in Glendora CA
                  OEM clutch
                  New bearings (OEM)
                  Camshaft...Web Cams
                  Valve lift .370/.330
                  Duration 270/266
                  Duration @50 246/240
                  Grind Number 236/223

APE competition valve springs (included in porting price)
                  Bronze shortened valve guides (included in porting price)
                  Rockers all hardwelded (included in porting price)

Unless i'm forgetting anything and i'm sure I probably am, this is everything that has gone into the build. I figure if it works and makes good power its only right to share the info. I hope this helps anyone interested in a little more pep from their kat if successful.
                  Last edited by i3notsr; 12-09-2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Suggestion - ditch the HH pads in the rear, it's already easy enough to lock up as is.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I dunno...I ran the double H pads front and rear before the bike went non op, I was quite pleased. What I'm concerned about are the beefier front pads lol. I have never been a fan of the front brakes and those are the ones that worry me.

Comment

Not a fan of the fronts as in lacking performance? Little hard to tell but from your most recent pick it looks like you have OEM brake lines? Switching those to SS braided lines gives a nice improvement.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by i3notsr View Post
                          I dunno...I ran the double H pads front and rear before the bike went non op, I was quite pleased. What I'm concerned about are the beefier front pads lol. I have never been a fan of the front brakes and those are the ones that worry me.

um... Wha?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I took from that you dislike and don't want to use the front brakes when riding these bikes?

If that is the situation, I can't stress enough how much you could benefit from a little bit of instruction from a track day or advanced riding course. Even if you intellectually understand that the front brakes provide the majority of your braking power, the proper course or training/experience can help you become confident in that and greatly improve your riding skills.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Nope, front and rear brake lines have been switched to stainless. Its not that I dislike or dont want to use the front brake, its more that I have always favored the rear brake and used the front for finese more or less. I know that I will be using more front brake with the motor set up this way and its going to be an adjustment, that's all. And I agree completely and I will be the first to admit that I need to take an advanced course both for fun and learning.

Comment

Picked up the bike about an hour ago...

Comment

Pics? Impressions? Worth it?
                                1998 Katana 750
                                1992 Katana 1100
                                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                                X