No announcement yet.
X

How do I wheelie?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember to cover that rear break so you can bring youself down if you start getting to high!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

He mentioned a couple times in the vid about making sure to always use the rear brake in traffic and knowing where it is in case you get too high as Lou mentioned. Ive found that most times, new riders especially and those who just dont know any better, tend to use the rear break all the time, and rarely use the front, which of course is also not good fundamental riding either. Interesting

Comment

I always incorporate the rear brake into my every day riding especially b/c is seems to slow me down just enough to keep distance from other cars, I go my kat up once but that was reving up to 8 in first and letting off the clutch I want to learn how to do a roll on though
        -to be the man you have to be the man

Comment

well usually doing a power wheelie is the easiest to start to learn on...

so ...............................

bring you bike upto about 30mph in 1st gear...

then do what we call ROLL on th the throttle.. basically means going from where you are at 30mph to full throttle in a second...

your bike should lift.. if not try bouncing the front or lifting up when you do this roll on the throttle technique. you will feeel your bike lift...

alright the cover your rear break i would still cover it worse case senario is you get scared and you still hit the rear break bringing you back to earth safley...

another way to bring your front end down will be to let off the throttle or pull in the clutch.. if you can lean back and lift up a little to help slow the fall of the front tire so you don't compress your forks to far....

start with small wheelies then bigger ones then ones that you move forward further... then a little further and so on and so on..

alright NOW....

clutching wheelies...

move forward in 1st gear.. go about 10 mph maybe 15...

pull in clutch rev to about 3000rpm's lift up let go of clutch have some fun with throttle (don't open it all the way)

slowly go up in RPM's trying to find the bike's BP (balancing point) your bike will feel totally weightless when you hit this point.. and as long as you don't go past that point nor go under you can technically ride a wheelie all day long...

thats all about throttle disipline though.. once you hit this use the throttle lightly.. if you are wanting to speed up while on the wheelie... SLOWLY use the throttle to gain speed.. don't put torque on the throttle jet give it enough to slowly get you upto speed...

after awhile you will learn how to catch yourself and propperly do a wheelie

but if you need here is a good video...

now as you notice with the roll on wheelies his bike is accelerating and going higher in RPM's thats because he isn't at the BP he is just reving the bike out if you are fast enough while doing this you can power shift.. (by just lifting the shifter) go to 2nd before you hit the rev limiter in 1st.. this will let you go further

hope this helps you out some dude.....
          Woody
          http://www.nationalcyclesupply.net
          http://www.ncsupply.com

Comment

great post. I just did my first wheelie yesterday! I was with my friend that I was accompanying home from work. she was being very cautious and going very slowly. I pulled away from a stop sign on a straight non busy road. as I was waiting for her to catch up I decided to see if I could get her up. I used the bounce technique and she came up fairly easily. probably only two or three feet and I set her right back down. it was a rush though. when we pulled up to the next light she pulled alongside and asked if I did it on purpose. I didn't think she saw me.

Comment

I got both wheels off the ground yesterday!! I know... VERY SQUIDLY! Sorry but I was trying to wheelie and decided that it would be easier to get the big kat up with a lillte help from Mr. Incline. I went up a 30 degree incline in a local parking lot. Two feet of air...Scarey on a kat... Fun, but Scarey.
              I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

Trying to wheelie on an incline, in my experience, is harder then doing a wheelie on flat ground. If you're hell bent on doing a wheelie do it on flat ground, or even a decline - easier to control the bike once the front end is up. Doing a wheelie on an incline gives the bike a better chance of flipping over on you if you're not careful.
                ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

actually belive it or not physics make it easier to do on a incline then on flat land because your forks are already compressed....

or is is on a decline grr i can't remember now i read it somewhere though lol..

i belive it is on an incline though...

once you get it down and you cover the rear it makes it harder to loop it.. unless you hit a reflector at 60mph at 12 olcock already then you do what i did and loop it anyways WOOT.. that was fun
                  Woody

Comment

Originally posted by woody
                    actually belive it or not physics make it easier to do on a incline then on flat land because your forks are already compressed....

or is is on a decline grr i can't remember now i read it somewhere though lol..

i belive it is on an incline though...

once you get it down and you cover the rear it makes it harder to loop it.. unless you hit a reflector at 60mph at 12 olcock already then you do what i did and loop it anyways WOOT.. that was fun
                    Yeah, it makes it easier to get your front wheel up, but it's harder to control a wheelie on an incline. Your front wheel is up while the rear wheel is still on the incline. Unless you only want to ride the wheelie a foot off the ground, it takes more throttle, effort and control to further raise the front wheel, hence the increased chance of flipping the bike.
                    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

i totally understand where you are comming from and agree the danger is there esspecially with sitting down on your seat..

doing standers i belive your weight is more forward and you can feel the bike's weight much easier then sitting down...
                      Woody

Comment

Working...
                      X