X

My Formal Introduction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Formal Introduction

Hello All, Although I have lurked here for over five years this is my first post. I live about a half hr. east of Raleigh NC. I purchased a blue 2001 600 back in 05 with 4,000 miles. I have enjoyed trouble free(just maintenance) riding until now at 32,000 miles.
    I have either a short or grounding issue. It's been two weeks since it happened but i'm too busy right now to trouble shoot it. I get NOTHING when i turn the key. Nothing meaning no lights of any kind or starting. Battery reading 12.4 until I turn the key, then 0.5. Yes I have downloaded the manual to reference electrical paths and searched/read dozens of post related to the issue.
    I am only writing now because this forum won't allow me to reply to ongoing post without having met a quota on post myself so I can't "jump in" on any topics related to my own. When school eases up in a few weeks I'll get on it.
    It's nice to "meet" everyone. Ride Safe. Happy Easter

Oh yeah, when it first happened I would get all lights and the turn signals worked as well as brake lights but if I hit the horn or starter it would black out for a while.
    Last edited by NKNVNUNL; 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If it ain't fun or making money, don't do it

Welcome, sorta.

Sounds like your battery is shot past all redemption. Try jumping from a car battery (car engine off) and see what you get.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      Welcome, sorta.

Sounds like your battery is shot past all redemption. Try jumping from a car battery (car engine off) and see what you get.
      Welcome to KR from Western NC!!! Try that but you're probably gonna need a battery

Comment

Welcome to KR.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by stretched600 View Post
          Welcome to KR from Western NC!!! Try that but you're probably gonna need a battery
          That would be the test. If it starts when you put a good battery in the circuit then it's the battery.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Welcome!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome!
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                Bill
                1989 Katana 600 Blue on Black
                sigpic

Comment

It seems to be a consensus. Thanks All.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    That would be the test. If it starts when you put a good battery in the circuit then it's the battery.
                    Unless there is something else causing the batt go flat over a short period of time. Maybe wise to measure the horn and starter while trying to engage. If there's a problem there that doesn't get solved it will cost more than one battery.

Welcome and nice too meet you too, NKNVNUNL, btw. (did I pronounce that right? )
                    Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                      2001 GSX600F

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

welcome ?
                          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

You all were right, it was the battery. Advance guy told me it had no cranking amps and promptly sold me a gel cell for $70 bucks. It read 12.5v. After starting and running a few minutes I read 14.3 across the terminals. Now I can go back to my dark corner and admire from afar and I have enough posts now to communicate (unless i want to buy something). Thanks to All who communicated.

Comment

Working...
                            X