Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Motorcycle stalled on highway... What to do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle stalled on highway... What to do?

So... in a 45 MPH zone (about to turn to 55)... I'm tooling along, and this guy has his old honda cruiser on the left side of the lane with signal on (turning left).... but he's not moving, and there is no oncoming traffic. So, I get in the right side of the lane, and slow to a stop next to him (passing is technically illegal by going around the right side, but 95% of people do it... I'm one of the 5%).

I could tell he was having trouble because every time he let out the clutch, the bike would darn near die, and the scared look on his face gave him away. Being scared probably didn't help the clutch killing the bike issue either.

The whole time, I'm flashing my brake lights like crazy so drivers coming up from the rear can see us better. I was afraid that someone would run over the guy.... 2 bikes are better than one right? So, about 5 cars slow to a stop behind us until he finally gets it off the road. However, the whole time I'm freaking out about getting run down. I did have it in first and ready to blow through to redline in case someone didn't see us, and I had to move fast...

What is the correct protocol in this situation?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

I'm not sure what the problem was?

If you have an issue, you sould safely and immediatly pull over to the shoulder.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

the correct protocol when you stop to help someone is to get your bike off the road, then direct/stop/alert traffic while on foot. this is a clear signal that there is a problem for the folks coming up on you. if they see you sitting on the bike, it is not 100% clear that there is a problem, and someone on a cell or not paying attention could not notice that you are stopped.
      so while you are handling the traffic, the guy in trouble can get his bike off the road or whatever.
      just sitting in your lane on the bike...with traffic coming up on you...well, that is something I would not do.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The correct procedure is to go under your seat, get out the inflatable orange warning signal that's under the stock tool kit, walk back 300 feet (inflating while you walk) and set it up to warn motorists coming towards you.

Personally, I put my bike either out of harms way (off the road - daytime) or about 40 feet behind the person with the trouble (night), and depending on the road width, facing traffic -- so that it can act as a beacon that something is amiss and still provide enough distance that we might have a chance of not getting crushed if someone decides they love their cell phone more than staying in the traffic lanes appropriately.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          The correct procedure is to go under your seat, get out the inflatable orange warning signal that's under the stock tool kit, walk back 300 feet (inflating while you walk)

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

is that stock?

Comment

Most definately help get the bike off the road immediately before attempting any type of repairs or calling for help. Once you're off the road then you can more safely proceed to help the rider out, make calls, or whatever.

In that instance, you really need to think of yourself first. I know it can sound rude but really the same protocol goes for emergency personnel on a scene. If ambulance or fire personnel cannot safely do their duties then they need to secure the area first. You don't need more injured people than what their already is, or in your case you getting run over is not going to help the situation. Pull your bike onto the shoulder first, then go help the stranded rider.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              The correct procedure is to go under your seat, get out the inflatable orange warning signal that's under the stock tool kit, walk back 300 feet (inflating while you walk)
              Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
              is that stock?
              I knew I'd get someone with that...

No, it's not... it just ought to be.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yea it should

Comment

If you carry a mini-mag light, you can unscrew the top, set it into latern mode (stick it upside-down in the lens cap) -- and some even have a red filter available for the warning use purpose.

I have yet to see an inflatable warning triangle (maybe I should patent it), and I haven't been able to find the minimized version that consists basically of a flag (material) and some bendable wire either.

Flares are always an alternative Fire good.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X