X

Bike fell over

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike fell over

This morning while I was working inside, one of my co-workers came inside and told me my bike was laying on it’s side. At first I thought he was joking, but he wasn’t. I'm not sure how or why, but after I lifted the bike back up, and I put the key in to try to start it-I noticed that the bike was in neutral. It broke off my new mirror, & screwed up the leftside fairing. Broke the clutch lever. Broke the passenger foot peg. And there is some weird sticky black oil like goo that will not come off my bike. (what is that?)I am so pissed right now. All of the damage is on the leftside.

Man that sucks! sorry to hear about your bike.

Comment

dang man sorry to hear about that. I would probably concur with you that it is more than likley oil mixed with maybe some dirt. A good degreaser will help take it off more than likley. You can always find extra parts on ebay or maybe someone on here can help you with some.

Comment

Parked on ashphalt? My guess. Kickstand sunk in, bike fell over, lied there for a while on the hot ashphalt which is the black oil like stuff you described on your fairing

Comment

It just happened only about 50 minutes ago (7:45 A.M. EST). The asphalt was cool and as clean as a small buisness parking lot could be. I don't think it is dirt mixed with oil. It did look like it came from the left side of the engine area (mainly the upper area). It dried very quickly and it was very sticky at first. At first I thought it was just dirty engine oil, but my site glass on the right side shows very clean oil. One of my co-workers says it kind of looks like transmission fluid. I am just so pissed right now. I really do appreciate all your insight on this. Thanks.

Comment

Join the club.
            katanasoldier mentioned that colorite.com does good color-matching through the mail for touch up paint. And I agree with the theory of the side stand sinking into the asphalt. Is the parking lot newly paved? When I was checking out the Toronto Grand Prix race track (race in 2-weeks!) on Sunday I noticed my stand started sinking in the fresh asphalt.

I need to repair my right side fairing (scratched down to the black plastic). Right now I am debating between fixing the cosmetics myself or sending it to my boy who runs a body shop. That and I need to fix my front brake lever tonight. The poor thing took the brunt of the impact.

Comment

My left fairing is cracked completely through. It starts from the bottom and goes about half way up, and on other parts of it, it is scratched to the black part of the plastic. Should I just buy a new left fairing, or have this one fixed? Which would be better/cheaper?

Comment

In that case I say just buy a new fairing (especially if it is still the stock paint color). From my experience working with fiber glass - you would have to grind out the cracks and deep scratches. Then (from the sound of it) repaint the entire fairing; primer, paint, clear coat and all.

Although the fairing is plastic, I good body worker would probably follow the above procedure.

Comment

Hey man, I THINK I have an extra stock clutch lever I could send you.

PM me with an address.

Comment

Originally posted by darrellparkhill
                    Hey man, I THINK I have an extra stock clutch lever I could send you.

PM me with an address.
                    Thanks man. I just borrowed a friends car and picked one up at the local bike shop. However, my bike makes a terrible scraping/grinding noise everytime I let off the gas. I have noticed that my chain is VERY loose. Would that be causing that noise, or would it be something else?

Comment

yup that crap happens, had my baby knocked over at the gym by some hoodrats, god help me if I caught them!
                      Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

Lets just hope that bike tipping doesn't become as popular a sport as cow tipping and I think we can all leave our bikes outside feeling safe.

Comment

I would def. tighten that chain up to spec.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident. I feel your pain as it can be very expensive to fix everything. I try to minimize the possibility of having my bike fall over by doing the following...

- Make sure the bike is in gear so that it does roll forward if there is an incline. I almost had this happend to me once in a parking space. I barely manged to keep the bike from falling.

- Put a thin but durable piece of plastic, wood or whatever (I carry a metal coaster) underneath the brake stand. This prevents the bike stand from sinking in the ashphalt, dirt or even grass.

- Park away from other cars if possible but not away from view. This is easier said than done but I park my bike near the bike rack at work and it's in clear view from my window.
                            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

holy shnikes man. i have dropped mine 3 times im sorry to say. know how it is

Comment

Working...
                              X