X

Fork seals, Oil help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seals, Oil help?

Ok I have 96 forks on a 92. All the same I guess.. I was riding home the other day, I thought I was getting hit with a **** load of bugs, but come to find out when i get home my forks are leaking. From the top..

I dont even know what the little adjustable knobs are so i need some direction here..

1. Is it ok to keep riding it this way?
    2. How hard is it to fix this problem, whats involved?
    3. Can i do it my self, in my garage?
    4. Is there a FAQ on this someone could link me?
    92 Kat 750 rebuild from dead 108 days and counting till i get my license BACK
    01 mercury cougar
    00 cougar black
    sigpic

yes fork seals can be replaced at home. i would check to make sure the bolts on top are tight( not the adjustment screws ) i would avoid riding very much if possible.
    Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

This website really helped me with my rebuild when I was still a bike nood. Just keep track of everything and keep everything in order.

Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by yunggunz87 View Post
        but come to find out when i get home my forks are leaking. From the top..

2. How hard is it to fix this problem, whats involved?

First try tightening the fork cap. You may need to loosen the top triple tree bolt(s) for your model before being able to tighten the fork cap. If they really are leaking from the cap, there is a rubber o-ring at the cap, part #27.

Or anyone of the other components from part #'s 26-32 maybe the culprit.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Awsome so there is a possibility I could just tighten the fork cap?

What about all the oil that has leaked out. How do I replace it?

If I take the top fork cap off are things going to come flying out at me?

I know its leaking from the top, if it does need to be replaced can I just pull the fork cap off replace the seal and be done, after refilling with fork oil?
          92 Kat 750 rebuild from dead 108 days and counting till i get my license BACK
          01 mercury cougar
          00 cougar black
          sigpic

Comment

I know its leaking from the top, if it does need to be replaced can I just pull the fork cap off replace the seal and be done, after refilling with fork oil?
            i think there is a giant spring that comes out the top, don't remember its been about a year since i took forks apart, also im pretty sure it takes a specific amount of fork oil in each side, you don't just fill it up. but as long as your forks are not bottoming out, or there is excessive travel in them going over the bumps and hills and the front doesn't dip too hard when u pull the break, you will probably be fine just either tightening them down or replacing the seal or o-ring whatever it is
            Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Yes, absolutley. For my 2001 the fork cap uses a 24mm wrench. Yours maybe different.

There is a specific amount of oil specified by Suzuki in each fork, however, since you don't know how much has leaked the only way to be sure is to measure the fork oil. To do that, the fork needs to be collapsed with the spring out and then you can measure from the top of the fork down into the fork x-amount of inches or millimeters. For your Pre you'll have to find out what that x-amount is.

As was mentioned, the spring and preload spacer is under tension. When you are spinning off the fork cap and at the very last of the threads, just push down on the fork cap untill the threads have separated. Then just ease off the downward force.

Correct.

To get an idea what is like to disassemblea Katana fork, see my thread from when I did my forks.

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
              swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
              Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
              X