No announcement yet.
X

Suzuki GSXF 650 vs SV 650

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You cant go wrong with either bike. I will say that ive been reading more and more often about the praise the motorcycle mags are giving to the 650F as to how perfect the bike is for all needs. The SV has allways been in interesting choice that is a blast to ride. The new 650F is a kat. It does everything well. Commuter. Check. Hit some twisties. Check. Not kill your body trying to feng shui onto the bike. Check.

Honestly go sit on both of them and get the one that feels better to you. If the dealer allows test rides then take full advantage of it. I will say thought that it definitly is nice to not have to mess with carbs....

DC Born..Maryland Bred

I will never be forgotten. I will only fade as time goes on from your consious thoughts.

Comment

I had a 99 sv650. And straight smoked a few katanas, both are good bikes. The sv handles awesome. Especially with a gsxr rear shock

Comment

To be honest I've yet to see the GSXF 650, but I do know it is a Bandit with fairings and, well, basically the same engine as the Kat600 but with 50cc more and watercooled.

What I do know is that the SV650 is more or less as fast as a pre-98 Katana 750, in a straight line, it will smoke the Kat on the twisties as it is way lighter.

As for what bike is better...

I would chose the SV650. It should be faster, lighter and the design is much newer than that of the Bandit.
        Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

Sv650
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

if i caught your weight right 280lbs. get a sv 1000 or bandit 1250. im at 240lbs and i have been on those little 600 bikes. trust me you will love the bigger bikes. i got a honda vtr 996 vtwin and the bike feels grate next to the sv650. and the torque of the big v twins is awsome. not to mention the big v-twins sound mean as hell with the right pipes. my 2cents

Comment

2009 SV650SF, that is a awesome looking machine
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

SOME ONE GET HIM A SIDE CAR!!!!
                Originally posted by jcv400ex View Post
                well, I found out the wifey is prego....so it's either a total replacement now, or keep the Kat. I want to atleast upgrade to a post 98 bike now. We'll see!
                Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                  2009 SV650SF, that is a awesome looking machine

Comment

I would go with the SV for more parts and upgrades available, and cheaper to replace. Do a ebay search and you know what I mean. Beside, SV have a unique engine sound as it's a "V" configuration.
                    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by jcv400ex View Post
                      well, I found out the wifey is prego....so it's either a total replacement now, or keep the Kat. I want to atleast upgrade to a post 98 bike now. We'll see!

Could always talk me out of my Kat so that I could go another direction and get a used SV1000 or TL1000 or Busa.....

Works out for everyone....

HA HA
                      I am a Penn State fanatic.
                      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

after a lot research done I decided to go with a SV.... but couldn't find a gray one with fairing

now I'm on a gsx650f and it's a great "all-around" bike, but performance-wise I'd say SV will do better with its torquey v-configure motor. plus it's proven a track-able bike
                        sigpic
                        2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

I've ridden both of them and ended up buying the GSX. I'm 5'11 200 lbs. The SV certainly feels light but to me it felt too light. It felt kinda cheap and it was really buzzy. Also, you feel like you're sitting on top of it and not "in it". It just didn't inspire any confidence to me. The GSX650F is a lot bigger and feels more substantial. It's also much more comfortable, especially for a bigger guy. It's not buzzy at all. It's got plenty of extra power to haul a bigger guy's weight around. Just look at how much crap some of these sport touring guys load up on the backs of theirs. I keep seeing the same argument about the SV's engine being torquier and having more pull. I couldn't tell much of a difference in performance between the two. I'd give the edge to the GSX all the way through the rev range unless you're down around 3k. That's the only time that the SV felt stronger. I'd feel OK about recommending the SV to someone as a good starter bike. I wouldn't feel OK about recommending the GSX. The SV might be more fun on the track or to throw around in the twisties but the GSX650F is still a lot of fun and it's 100x more practical. For the price you get a LOT more bike with the GSX.

Comment

are you up grading or your first bike ??? first bike it wont matter but uping up maybe just a 2002 or up might help you feel better . but if i up for sure a 1000 cc. or a 750 true sport bike ..my 2002 kat 600 is fine has power to blast into the red line from time to time for the that feeling and smooth power for putting in traffic too .

Comment

Im 6'0 ... 230 lbs approximately, the SV just feels like the katana, but a little more SS'ish in the S configuration. I bought an 03 SV650S with full fairings. First things you'll realise, is the power is all around different. It's not mind blowing, but it is spread through the entire range, instead of having to keep the 4 cylinder of the GSX strung up to tap into it. Secondly, the front wheel is very light, with my big self on it, it still like's to come up when i want it, or ... when riding sprited rides, come up over a little hump in the road, and the front wheel will keep on carrying forward & up till you come off the throttle. Another thing I like about the SV is the plethora of aftermarket options, although the GSXF 650 is most likely supported the same, their are more "practical" power options (since its considered a decent track bike) compared to that of the I-4 of the GSXF. Really, after you get used to torquing the v-twin up some, it grows on you. Also, add a PC-3 and a full exhaust, and the TRE mod, and the thing comes unglued, its pretty wicked. I am somewhat Biased, but having owned a Kat and an SV I can be fair both ways.
                              Currently Riding:
                              1995 Katana 600
                              V&H Exhaust
                              Jet Kit

SOLD
                              2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                              1987 XV700 Bobber
                              REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Well...I seen and sat on a new GSX650F today. REALLY nice. Didn't get a chance to ride today, unfortunately.

First impression? I'd buy one...

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

DON'T BE A SQUIDIOT!

Comment

Working...
                                X