X

Suzuki GSXF 650 vs SV 650

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki GSXF 650 vs SV 650

I plan on getting my Kat a friend in the offseason for a good price and I'm comparing the SV 650 with the new GSXF 650. The SV seems like a good choice. $100 less, over 100 lbs lighter....Am I missing something there? The SV650 just seems like a better option.

the gsxf is suzuki's replacement for the Kat... If you already have a Kat, you wouldn't need the gsxf... It would be way more comfy than the SV and have a sightly higher top speed... but still a little slower in the 1/4 mile.. Both run a 12 sec 1/4...

Both get 50+ mpg but the gsxf will get 56 from what I read... Sv,51..

Personally I'd get the SV and hit the track... you won't be dissapointed, plus it's $1k cheaper, so you can afford that track time.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I'd get the SV. -Proven track bike...
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I don't have any interest to ride the track. i'm looking for a replacement, and use the kat as a extra bike.

Comment

My brother loves his SV650. It replaced his Kat 750 (which is now mine!)

Honestly though, I was at the dealer the other day and sat on an SV650 after being on my 750 and wow what a difference!! It felt like I could throw that little guy all over the place.

I've also seen SV650s with full fairings and they look really sharp to me.

Comment

allright, so what are you saving the Kat for? Long trips?

The SV is better suited for getting around traffic during a commute, but for the long hauls your Kat will do great...

What are you looking for in your next bike?

You really don't have to own a Kat to be a part of Katriders you know... you won't hurt anyone's feelings if you trade it in...

If you want something different, define what it is that you want... And we'll decide for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jcv400ex View Post
              I don't have any interest to ride the track. i'm looking for a replacement, and use the kat as a extra bike.
              Well, I think you'll find that the SV is going to give a different riding experience from your Kat. -More like Chocolate and Vanilla vs. Vanilla and French Vanilla.
              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

What about an SV1000?

Comment

Well, I love the Kat, but I'm wondering if I spend the money and go over it completely, replace this, fix that, yada,yada,yada or do I buy a new bike and just keep the Kat for a spare bike. I only paid $1,000 for my 1995 Katana, but it's been down twice and it's not as nice as I like my stuff to be. It has 10,000 miles on it and somethings need replaced. I bought it to save on gas and being a cruiser rider since I was 16...questioned if I'd like the bike. Well, I come to find out, I love the bike and wonder why it took me so long to buy one. But it'd still be fine to sit in the garage incase the new bike needs something done, my dad wants to ride, friends, etc.

So now i'm looking for a long term bike. as long as it's above 50 degrees out, I'll ride the bike, which is around 8-9 months here in Pennsylvania anymore. Heck two years ago I rode atleast 1 day every month.

I live 10 miles from where I work, but I run around on the bike all the time. I'll take maybe 5 trips a year over 150 miles though. I have young kids, and they still take up most of my free time.

Comment

Then I'd say get the SV650, not the S model... More upright ergos... plus it has that timeless standard look to it... won't ever look dated...

Comment

The SV1000 would be nice, but I like the full fairing look and I don't want to pay that much. I'm thinking I can pick up a GSXF or SV for around $5,500-$6,000 from a dealer once the weather starts changing.

The 600 I have is plenty fast enough for me, but I'm learning now what you guys say about the weight and handling of the bike. I'm not a lightweight at 280lbs, and I'm getting alittle more comfortable on the bike, and I just noticed this morning how heavy the bike is and how it doesn't want to turn sometimes.

How are the SV's in the rain? The Kat is great in the rain and I don't want to loose that. The SV being lighter, the rain would concern me.
                      Last edited by jcv400ex; 08-01-2008, 01:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Rain? Your bike is only as good as you are in the rain... As long as you aint racin it around corners you'll be fine... Heck I had to ride my wife's Daytona 675 in some rain this mornin and it has some of the least rain-friendly tires on it...

Now that you mention you arent a midget, or a smaller framed person, I may have to retract my suggestion of the SV and say try to get the GSXF for the same price if ya can... It's a bigger bike that will probably fit you better...The SV seems a little more cramped when compared to the GSXF...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was all about sold on the GSXF until I seen the full fairing on the SV and I just started reading into it more.

As compared to a 2006 Katana say, what are the improvements with the new GSXF?

Comment

For more info on the SVs check out http://forum.svrider.com/forums.php

Like the Kat, the SV is lacking in the forks and rear shock so you will want to do something about those.

I wouldnt bother going full fairing. The SV looks HOT with just a factory chin spoiler.

Comment

I had an SV650 and the handling was really great. Put like it was mentioned earlier, it is a little cramped. I always felt like the bike was a little too small and that I looked funny on it. Personally I thought that the power was a little bit lacking. If you could find an SV1000 that might make a good option. But just my two cents. good luck with a decision.
                              Semper Fi
                              1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Working...
                              X