X

05 Kat 600 USB port HELP?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 Kat 600 USB port HELP?!?

Hey guys I have a 2005 Kat 600. My battery is probably 3 months old at this point. I just bought a dual USB port, it's waterproof for the most part. It's got two cords one black and one red to connect to the battery terminals. Has an inline 7.5 amp fuse. My question is how do I connect it so It doesn't drain the battery when the bike is off???!? Is there a cord I can splice it to from the wiring harness somewhere that is powered only when I turn on the bike? I know my Kats battery needs to be dam near fully charged if i want it to turn over when I need it to. Anyone gone through the same stuff with they're Kats?

Just don't leave anything plugged into it. Being that anything you plug in isn't going to draw shit you could use any connection that comes on with the key. If that bugs you install a relay, then use anything that comes on with the key. There may also be an accessory connection under the dash pod, I know the pre's do.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I have my accessory socket wired directly to the battery (through a fuse block) so I can charge things without the bike being on / running. If your battery can't handle charging a phone and still have enough in reserve to fire the bike, time for a new battery.

Comment

Ok nice I'll check for the accessory connection under the cluster. I won't leave anything connected to it unless it's on. I just wonder if powering the usb cord itself might draw alil power over time. I like the idea of a switch I can place along the usb cord. On the other hand , If I find that accessory connection to connect the positive would the negative still go to the battery or should I ground it? Prob a stupid question but I'm just making sure

Comment

Ground it. As long as nothing is consuming power, no drainage will occur.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok thank you 92xjunker. I'll post some pics when I get it mounted tomorrow

Comment

Working...
            X