Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Brightest Headlight without going HID? Also LED's for gauge cluster?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numus View Post
    XENTEC H13/9008 Flex Bixenon Hi/Lo 6000K HID Slim Ballast HID Xenon Kit (Ultra White) offroad : Amazon.com : Automotive those what you are talking about? Seems a good deal if they don't blind people... Where do you mount the ballast?
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Those are the ones. The shroud is what keeps the light from having uncontrolled spread, which is what blinds oncoming drivers. My ballasts are mounted up front, on top of the headlight housing, behind the fairings. I have a post 750 Kat, for reference sake.
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

Comment

I had a 55W DDM HID bixenon kit in my 90 kat and it worked much much much better than the stock H4 bulb. However the light was more like a beam and still threw alittle light everywhere. I then swapped a bixenon Projector into the stock housing, light output was further increased but over a wider range (better than the narrowish beam of the stock housing). I then decided I didnt like the "cyclopse" look of the single projector and Swapped in another projector. Now I run two 55W HIDs with 6K bulbs and bixenon projectors, basically out infront of the bike its like daylight but its a white light... insane light output but no blinding and crisp cutoff. Switch the high beam and the projector solenoid flap goes down and then its crazy bright light so you can see everything.

THe Bixenon HID kit in the stock housing is okay, upgrading to a projector is worth it. Im no stranger to projector retrofits and I will always do it if possible.
      1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
      fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
      55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
      R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
      Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

PIAA GT-x bulbs.

brightest bulbs with lowest draw on the market . Output is 135/125 w
        no need for relays, actual pwer draw is still 65 w
        these are anti vibration bulbs as well and far more durable then most other high output bulbs.

the down side is the cost. a set of these cost the same or more then an HID kit
        $50 a bulb
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
          PIAA GT-x bulbs.

brightest bulbs with lowest draw on the market . Output is 135/125 w
          no need for relays, actual pwer draw is still 65 w
          these are anti vibration bulbs as well and far more durable then most other high output bulbs.

the down side is the cost. a set of these cost the same or more then an HID kit
          $50 a bulb
          Can you post a link to where to get these at? I'd like to look into them, for my R6 over here.
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

Im running the star white antivibration bulbs in the Kat and the H1 extreme white plus in the dirtbike. . its been i think 4 years Ive had them in the Kat now. They were a big improvement over OE Halogen.The dirtbike came stock with stupid little 35w halogens. the H1 are 55w with 100w output. them lil suckers are bright and run off a little YTX7 battery.

but again for the cost of HID systems today... you can get a decent HID system on you bike for less.

here is a vid with the lights on. Bikes not runnng so obviously they are evn brighter when it is.
            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDB5oYbTcY&list=UUPKl6Toa2DBSb5HtNm3pFrw& index=9"]VHT nightshades - YouTube[/ame]
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Here are for the gauge LED's (Post 600)

PC74 type 12VDC replacement bulb with 1 high power SMD LED. Twist lock instrument cluster and gauge illumination bulb. Up to 10 lumen. 74 bulb installed in twist lock base. The energy-efficient bulb operates with in a wide 9-14.8V DC range and is designed to last 10,000 hours on your car, truck, SUV, or van—25 times longer than incandescent bulbs.

1 red (oil)
              3 green(Neutral and turn indicators)
              5 or 6 blue/white or whatever color you want SMD for gauges(sorry, i forget exactly)
              1 blue STD power for high beam.
              Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Originally posted by kat600rdr View Post
                Here are for the gauge LED's (Post 600)

PC74 type 12VDC replacement bulb with 1 high power SMD LED. Twist lock instrument cluster and gauge illumination bulb. Up to 10 lumen. 74 bulb installed in twist lock base. The energy-efficient bulb operates with in a wide 9-14.8V DC range and is designed to last 10,000 hours on your car, truck, SUV, or van—25 times longer than incandescent bulbs.

1 red (oil)
                3 green(Neutral and turn indicators)
                5 or 6 blue/white or whatever color you want SMD for gauges(sorry, i forget exactly)
                1 blue STD power for high beam.
                Do I just want the normal or the high power

That is my cart....
                Last edited by numus; 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

If you don't add 12g wire and relays, you are wasting your time. All those over priced bulbs are just that- over priced.
                  Get a 80/100w, add relays and see the light. On my 1100, I measured the voltage at the headlight socket to be a little under 10v. With relays, it was 13v. Thirty percent more voltage does wonders for light.
                  Tried a silver star bulb, lasted a couple of months. I like those cheap xenon filled 80/100w bulbs that have clear (not tinted) glass.
                  Cost? About $15 (including cost of a korean made 80/100w bulb). I'll gladly put that up against any bike running an overpriced miracle bulb and stock headlight wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                    http://www.piaa.com/store/c/44-Powersport-Bulbs.aspx

Im running the star white antivibration bulbs in the Kat and the H1 extreme white plus in the dirtbike. . its been i think 4 years Ive had them in the Kat now. They were a big improvement over OE Halogen.The dirtbike came stock with stupid little 35w halogens. the H1 are 55w with 100w output. them lil suckers are bright and run off a little YTX7 battery.

but again for the cost of HID systems today... you can get a decent HID system on you bike for less.

here is a vid with the lights on. Bikes not runnng so obviously they are evn brighter when it is.
                    VHT nightshades - YouTube
                    Awesome. Thanks, man.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                      If you don't add 12g wire and relays, you are wasting your time. All those over priced bulbs are just that- over priced.
                      Get a 80/100w, add relays and see the light. On my 1100, I measured the voltage at the headlight socket to be a little under 10v. With relays, it was 13v. Thirty percent more voltage does wonders for light.
                      Tried a silver star bulb, lasted a couple of months. I like those cheap xenon filled 80/100w bulbs that have clear (not tinted) glass.
                      Cost? About $15 (including cost of a korean made 80/100w bulb). I'll gladly put that up against any bike running an overpriced miracle bulb and stock headlight wiring.
                      +1. I just did the same conversion, very nice. The existing socket was melted and voltage at the socket was low. Don't forget a fuse and ceramic socket.
                      Also added horn relay and 12volt cigarette socket.
                      So check the voltage at the socket, if low then rewire. Either keep 55w street legal bulb or get new 80/100w.

I found this to be a good resource: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...ight_tech.html
                      '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
                        Now I run two 55W HIDs with 6K bulbs and bixenon projectors, basically out infront of the bike its like daylight but its a white light... .
                        Which projector kit did you use?

Comment

On a post 600... If I change out my blinker halogen bulbs with LED drop-ins.. Do I have to change the blinker relay also?

Comment

#24's are a touch loose and can still be rigged to work in the speedo/tach gauge lights....post 750. theres a great hid website out there that sells hids for motorcycles and they include the shrouds. less than 50 bucks for bulb ballast and wiring, have them for my car for almost 3 yrs and haven't had a single issue, fire up every single time

Comment

Originally posted by 06kat06g6 View Post
                              #24's are a touch loose and can still be rigged to work in the speedo/tach gauge lights....post 750. theres a great hid website out there that sells hids for motorcycles and they include the shrouds. less than 50 bucks for bulb ballast and wiring, have them for my car for almost 3 yrs and haven't had a single issue, fire up every single time

What website

I am getting very Leary of the xentec... a lot of reviews out there say they just cut off without reason and you probably wont even get them to work on the first shot (will have to get replacements)...

http://tspny.com/6000k Those are suppose to be good but they aren't shrouded so probably wouldn't be good in a reflector

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00802GB1M/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=automotive"]HID Xenon Headlight "Slim" Conversion Kit by Kensun, H4 Dual-Beam Bi-Xenon, 6000K : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame] These seem to have a good review.. Anyone try these Kensun HIDs?
                              Last edited by numus; 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post

What website
                                forgot to link.... http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit

quick before and after sorry for the blurry first pic

Last edited by 06kat06g6; 01-22-2013, 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X