X

Carrying a spare headlamp bulb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying a spare headlamp bulb

So a few months ago I had to call the AA out cos my headlamp blew in the middle of an unlit country road at 11pm (I could not even see where the side of the road met the grass, it really was that dark).

So I've started carrying a spare bulb with me in my tank bag.

I was thinking about buying one of those "emergency bulb and fuse kit"s that you see everywhere, and maybe try to fit it under my seat.

How are bulbs regarding the vibrations though? It's a H4 bulb so I imagine they don't need much to break them (but obviously they must have some resisiliance as there's one in the front of the bike).

Osram also make a H4 bulb specifically designed to cater for motorcycle vibrations, and it comes in a motorcycle shaped case too.

Anybody else carry spare bulbs? Do you keep them in your bag or on your bike?

Cheers all.
    1997 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Sucks you lost both high and low beams, post Kat has two bulbs, built in spare.

I used to store stuff in the tail of my Kat, don't know if there's room in the pre.

Standard bulbs are more robust then the newer "silverstar" premium bulbs, every advantage has a disadvantage.:bunny2
    Blackdog
    DRz-400e plated
    Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Whole thing blew up, I had to suck out the shattered glass with a hoover the next day.

There is some room in the tail, probably enough to fit a kit in too, bit of a pig to take the tail off though in the dark but when needs must I suppose I'd be thankful for a 5 min job in the dark than an hour wait again.

Comment

small plastic case with simple soft foam padding can serve as a vibration safer storage area for a spare bulb of your choice. I've re-purposed simple small boxes before by purchasing the "first aid" kits from walmart for a buck or so. Then used the stuff included inside to restock my other first aid kits to free up the box.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Little tin candy box, with a snap tight lid. Just use some foam inside to wrap around the bulb/bulbs, and then secure the snapped tight lid with a piece of 100mph tape.

Proceed to tape tin box into a secure little corner under the seat of your bike.
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

Ordered myself a 10cmx8cmx5.5cm tin, and some packaging foam.

A fairly perfect size for a spare headlamp and some other spare bulbs and fuses too.

I may need to make some adjustments to fit it under my tail seat but i'll find a way to fit it in there.

(No space under my seat as I've got a small pencil-case sized tool bag there already.)

Cheers all.
            Last edited by Srengam; 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Srengam View Post
              bit of a pig to take the tail off though in the dark but when needs must I suppose I'd be thankful for a 5 min job in the dark than an hour wait again.
              Smartphone with a flashlight app is a beautiful thing at that point

Comment

Originally posted by SnoMan View Post
                Smartphone with a flashlight app is a beautiful thing at that point
                So true I use My Samsung galaxy S2 with a flashlight app,converts the camera flash into a multi use torch...used loads on fuse issues in dark places.
                I'm outa here

Comment

How easy is it to replace the headlight bulbs without removing the plastic?!?

Comment

Working...
                  X