X

Tires or seat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires or seat?

Just distributing out my tax return, and the kat get about $350 due to a nice fat return this year!

That said, I'm debating on what I should get her! I'm going to change out the fork oil, and either: get the new Michelin pilot road 3 tires [bike still has the Michelin pilot roads that came on it when I bought it 3 years ago, amazingly they're in ok shape], or a corbin saddle!

A little torn on this, as its probably the only actualy "upgrade" the kat will get for awhile...I'm leaning towards the corbin due to the wifey telling me how much she hates the stock seat.

niether

Hell 3 years on used tires and still ok. you obviously dont ride enough to use an aftermarket seat. If the tires are ok run um. both sound like a waist of money.

I go through a tire a season on the back, a season and a half if I go easy on it, and still run the stock seat with no issues. What you wear makes a huge difference in how comfortable you are on longer rides.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I would check the date code on the tires. It does sound like you're not that hard on the tires, but they are your only contact with the road (hopefully). If you know they are at least 3 years old, they may actually be around that 5 year line. I'd go safety first. If your tire's date codes say they are only 3-4 years, and you will be able to replace the tires by the time needed, then opt for the corbin instead.

That's just my opinion though. One other option to consider, I have a post 600. My wife liked riding on the back, but it wasn't too comfortable for her. I upgraded my suspension, most notably going with a 750 shock (infinitely adjustable preload, with a remote resevoir) that Tmod rebuilt for me using an Eibach spring for my weight, and putting a RaceTech Gold Valve in it. The wife is much more comfortable on the back now. I still think I'd like to get a corbin at some point, but the upgraded suspension made it so it would be nice to do, rather than needed.

Either way you go, ride safe!

Dan

Comment

get a good set of tires sure the seat may be more comfortable, but the tires will last longer and you will need to get new tires eventually anyways, you may get used to the seat :P

Comment

I've been riding the bike every day its been dry (and above 50f) for the past 2 1/2 years. I doubt I'll randomly get used to the seat now, but these tires are insanely durable(they were nearly brand new treadwise when I got the bike from the original owner, the bike came disassembled in boxes). Last summer, I regularly outpaced my friends on sv650s/etc. The rear is...well..."on its way" out, but still has a little life left.

Im thinking of just getting the tires and changing the seating position while recovering the seat (its in pretty poor shape), I have already recovered my brothers 94 kat seats, not a hard job.

I regularly ride for 2-3 hours at a time...so the saddle is extremely tempting.

ygolohcysp, I never even thought to check the dates...I'll have to do that!

Good point, I usually wear jeans/jacket/gloves/helmet/boots.

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
          niether

Hell 3 years on used tires and still ok. you obviously dont ride enough to use an aftermarket seat. If the tires are ok run um. both sound like a waist of money.

I go through a tire a season on the back, a season and a half if I go easy on it, and still run the stock seat with no issues. What you wear makes a huge difference in how comfortable you are on longer rides.
          Check this out, busas regularly pull 10 k or more on these tires...

Tim, georgiabusa_05 sent me this picture. I decided it was worthwhile to post it... I have over 4K on mine and they still look almost new:)
          Last edited by LAsunbird86; 04-04-2011, 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I vote suspension upgrades...

It will significantly improve the "comfort" of the ride.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
              Ditto.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Corbin seat.......

Your wife will like it.........you will like it........

Hence more usuable cash approved by the wife for the new tires.........

Wife happy.........life happy...........
                sigpic
                98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Originally posted by vonrapier View Post
                  Corbin seat.......

hahahahaha wife happy life happy... thats y im NOT getting married!!! sucka's!!!!!!! lol
                  Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                  Current Bikes:
                  1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Get what ever is cheaper then try and coach the wife into saying its only a few extra bucks let me get them both!!!
                    When life has you by the balls. Grab life by the horns. DON'T BE AFRAID TO LET ER' BUCK!!!

Comment

Get the tires and tell your wife if the ride is that bad maybe SHE should buy the Corbin
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by vonrapier View Post
                        Corbin seat.......

Go with the Seat for sure.
                        Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                        MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey

I was thinking of a 750 rear shock. She just complains that the seat is too small and makes her tailbone hurt.

Probably going to go with the saddle...wifey just asked what I wanted for my birthday....simply showed her the tires, and she said "ooooh, nice" after reading the reviews/specs.

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                            Check this out, busas regularly pull 10 k or more on these tires...

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/tires/...-road-2-a.html
                            I lunch a set of PR2 in about 6500 miles on my Connie, then again, it is the sides that go first. Never had a set of tires on anything that went 10k.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                              Good point, I usually wear jeans/jacket/gloves/helmet/boots.
                              Get the seat, get the tires, but somewhere in there, please consider getting some pants. I "usually" wear my pants when I ride, but go figure the time I was not wearing them was the time I went down and wore through the skin on my knees.

Not entirely on topic I know, but I just had to say something since my knees are currently hurting. I went down last week, and I just stopped changing the bangages on my knees twice a day and went to the "bandage free" stage of my healing. This is a particularly uncomfortable time, because my pants are constantly rubbing the scabs.

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down.

Edit: I was wearing all of the gear you mentioned above and the road-rash on my knees is the only road-rash I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X