X

Decal Removal Safety Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal Removal Safety Question

while using a heat gun to remove the tank decals, is it better to leave the cap open to allow fuel expansion not to pressurize, or leave it closed to keep fumes away from heat source?

neither seems like a good option, but what is preferred

I can't see the amount of heat needed to remove decals making a massive difference in pressure in the tank.. It can't be worse then the bike being out all day on a hot summer day.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
    ~Author Unknown

Comment

Fumed and a glowing heat element cant be good, make sure the area is well ventilated.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Fumed and a glowing heat element cant be good, make sure the area is well ventilated.

+100

i know the gas caps on the bike have relief valves if pressure goes too high (like mentioned before, sitting out in summer) so i'll be heating with a closed tank and opening occasionally to relieve any pressure with the heat gun set aside

will also be doing this outside

Comment

Do agree with the well ventilation part, I just sand blasted mine off.
          ~Author Unknown

Comment

is it just the decals, or are you trying to remove paint too for a fresh start? because aircraft stripper gets the job done in 10 minutes, and does a damn well good job of it. and it wont even blow up in your face!

Comment

A hair dryer can get real hot, if you got one of those.
              Keep the cap on, it's gonna vent.
              Keep the heat away from the fumes.
              You should be able to do this EZ without danger.

Comment

Well, no matter what you will get fumes so just keep a fan blowing, go outside or something in order to keep risk to a minimum.
                ~Author Unknown

Comment

My tank decals are clear coated over.

Comment

Found when I took mine off they had stuck them on the base coat then lacquered over them so once removed they will leave an imprint, had to rub the tank back to metal to remove traces of this, I did mine with an empty tank as I was painting it anyway

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
                      My tank decals are clear coated over.
                      pretty much all decals are clear coated over, arent they?

Comment

yep. i was just looking for a way to remove without damaging base coat

Comment

Originally posted by Max Vador View Post
                          yep. i was just looking for a way to remove without damaging base coat
                          gotcha. what did you end up doing?

Comment

i've removed all decals but the tank at this point. i'm waiting on some material and to book time at a buddie's booth to respray so i haven't worried about the tank yet

Comment

Working...
                            X