X
X

INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES in Kats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations, KB Will you tell us how much you got the motor for? What does it come with? How many miles?

Frank
    "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    ~ Helen Keller, The Open Door (1927)
    '91 600 purchased in January 2000 with 7,707 miles

Comment

• $590

Just engine and trans

NO: harness or other exterior electrical component, so i know im gonna have to spend what i saved in getting the motor on the electrical parts needed.
      "Keeps it movin"

"Mean people SUCK......Nice people Swallow!"

Comment

• Happy Memorial Day, people!

For those of you who've installed larger motors in your Kats, from your experience, how much increase in fuel consumption did you notice (in percent, mpg, or both)? Which size motor did you install? Which size did you begin with?

I'm asking because I use my Kat for long distance/cross country rides every once in a while. I may not want to install an 1100 or 1200 motor if the fuel consumption increase is SUBSTANTIAL. I realize there will be a fuel consumption increase, but I want to gauge how much BEFORE I spend the money on a large motor. We all know how the price of gas keeps climbing. If the increase is substantial, I may decided on staying with a 600, or getting a 750 motor instead.

I was in the Shout Box a minute ago. blackkat gave me some good tips on what to look for in a motor, and listed some of the many factors that affect fuel consumption. And suzukisportrider brought up a good point. He suggested I change the sprocket(s) prior to going on a cross country ride to save fuel. I've never changed a sprocket before in my life. How difficult is it?

Thanks in advance for helping out a mechanically declined Kat rider

Frank
        "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

Comment

• when i get done with my project, b12 in and 750 out, if your interested, I will be selling my 2004 750 engine w/ 6600 miles on it on ebay. I just went to Ocala FL on SATURDAY on picked up an 02 bandit 1200. So I will be very busy making the swap over the next few weeks.
          "Keeps it movin"

"Mean people SUCK......Nice people Swallow!"

Comment

• KatBusa, any news or pics on the swap so far?

I'm going insane waiting for the 1216 to arrive....
            FrankenKat 1216
            GS Fiter 816
            GSXR750! (race)

Comment

• Yeah, any news? What do you plan to do differently with the bike once the swap is over?

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by KatBusa
                when i get done with my project, b12 in and 750 out, if your interested, I will be selling my 2004 750 engine w/ 6600 miles on it on ebay. I just went to Ocala FL on SATURDAY on picked up an 02 bandit 1200. So I will be very busy making the swap over the next few weeks.
                having done it it should only take a few day's to do the swap now tuning it is something else.. good luck hope to race you soon lol..

Comment

• I picked up an 89 gsxr750 motor that I want to put in a 95 katana frame do you think I will have many problems?
                  95 600
                  sage 3 jet kit
                  vance & hines header and exhaust
                  vance&hines programable igintion

Comment

• Question about putting a 98+ 600 engine in a 97 600...may sound dumb but...

will I need the coils from a 98 or will the 97 coils work and if I need them from a 98, what's the firing order? Thanks.

Comment

• Coils will be fine . Just hook the wires up like they were and all will be well .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• Thanks md!

Comment

• The Katana 1100 motor fits in the same as the GSXR 1100 motors right? Ihavea chance to get one dirt cheap but wanted to check first
                          Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

• Ok, im guessin it's difficult to put in a gsxr1000 engine inside a 1999 kat frame but has anyone put in a liquid cooled gsxr engine in this frame? i WAS wanting to attempt this procedure before reading this forum. So now im kinda thinking about the bore/stroke opportunities and bolt-on's for the 600 i have in it now. what are the limits as far as bore/stroke, valve diameter, cam durations, and all that shit. it seems hard to find any parts for the last gens.

Comment

• The 1127 swap would be easier than putting a water cooled motor in the kat frame.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• So does the 90-91 katana 1100 motor swap in just like the GSXR1100's do?
                                Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

Working...
                                X