X

New Lid for my Oblong Head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Lid for my Oblong Head

So Im in the market for a new Helmet. My issue is that I have trouble finding a good fit. The best helmet I've ever had is my Simpson Voyager in size XXL that i bought for stock car racing. The problem with using it on the bike is there is no vents so it gets uber hot in the summertime and it is LOUD. Never noticed it in the stock car but on a bike the wind noise is almost as bad as no helmet.

So what other brands have simmilar sizing to simpsons? I also have a MX style that i love to wear because its cool inside but even at size xxl its too small front to rear, after even a half hour of riding ny forehead hurts like a son of a gun. but if i go larger to get the fit right front to rear its too large on the sides.

And unfrortunatly I dont have a place close to go sample different brands and sizes. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

IMO I would never buy a lid without trying it on
    Sizes and fit vary hugely between brands

my head is huge and I wear a Shoei
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
      IMO I would never buy a lid without trying it on
      Sizes and fit vary hugely between brands
      +1
      Helmet shapes can vary from one brand to another. You'll have to find the right shape and size for your head and the only way is through fitting them on. You don't want your lid shifting when you're about to hit something.
      Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Originally posted by mongo View Post
        So Im in the market for a new Helmet. My issue is that I have trouble finding a good fit. The best helmet I've ever had is my Simpson Voyager in size XXL that i bought for stock car racing. The problem with using it on the bike is there is no vents so it gets uber hot in the summertime and it is LOUD. Never noticed it in the stock car but on a bike the wind noise is almost as bad as no helmet.

So what other brands have simmilar sizing to simpsons? I also have a MX style that i love to wear because its cool inside but even at size xxl its too small front to rear, after even a half hour of riding ny forehead hurts like a son of a gun. but if i go larger to get the fit right front to rear its too large on the sides.

And unfrortunatly I dont have a place close to go sample different brands and sizes. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
        Hey there,

thought I'd share some info about the auto-rated helmet you're using.

I used an SA2000-rated helmet at my last 24-hours-of-LeMons stint, and yes, it's not very breathable. Where things get crazy is the degree of protection offered by an auto helmet versus a bike helmet.

An auto helmet, unlike a motorcycle helmet, is not ruined if you drop it three feet. Ask anyone in safety or the helmet business - you drop that helmet, it's ruined.

An auto helmet is designed to withstand a greater number of strikes than a motorcycle helmet- it's meant to protect your noggin from the roll cage and other hard parts of the car and can be struck more than once but with a lesser impact than a bike helmet.

Unfortunately, it doesn't protect you quite the same way.

I strongly suggest going to a motorcycle store and trying on different helmets, because frankly, our knowledge here, while a useful guide, doesn't tell us how big your noggin is or what will feel comfortable for you -- but do get a real bike helmet.
        Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
        Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
        2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

i kind of ran into the same issue with an odd shaped melon. i tried on numerous brands,sizes, styles ect. i thought i had a winner with a shoei for 300+ but ended up returning it cause after half hour it started a massive headach. went to a huge dealership in MO and ultimately found the only one that fit was a ARAI SIGNET-Q which is shaped for an oblong head. wore it for about an hour and was WONDERFUL, plenty of airflow and didnt realize i still had it on, lol. i know my ARAI was stupid expensive but was the only one that fit me well. i ordered off motorcyclegear.com through the link on katriders.com
          hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, now i guess i just have to find a place near me to try helmets on. I actually found myself riding without a helmet way too often because the ones i have just arnt comfortable.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, now i guess i just have to find a place near me to try helmets on. I actually found myself riding without a helmet way too often because the ones i have just arnt comfortable.
              Would rather die then be uncomfortable....
              2005 Gsx600f- My baby
              1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
              Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
                most motorcycle fatalities are due to not wearing a helmet- more than any other reason.

I elected not to wear my gear once between my work and the gas station at the far end of the industrial park and nearly dumped the bike the ONE TIME i didn't have gear... so.... something to ponder.

I don't know if you saw the pics of "what the pieces of a zx14r look like" thread, but the bike was wholly obliterated against the brush guard of some sort of 60's dodge but the rider, wearing his leathers/helmet, lives on - and not become the sausage creature.

You don't want to be the sausage creature, toothless, mangled and ****ed up for the rest of your life.

(for reference, here's Hunter S. Thompson's "Song of the Sausage Creature")

Get that oblong noggin covered.

I'm not gonna be a gear nazi here and tell you that you need to be a damn power ranger every time you get on the bike, or even always need a jacket and gloves - that's up to you -- but at bare minimum, ALWAYS have a good helmet. Your friends/family will thank you. :]
                Last edited by black&blue; 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM.
                Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
                Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
                2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

no, more like would rather take a risk and focus on the road than be wearing and uncomfortable helmet and be destracted. As obviously im not dead yet.

There is around 5,000 people killed in mortocycle accidents each year give or take. This figure is including helmet wearers and non helmet wearers.
                  Approx 5.4 million people are killed each year by smoking.

But im guessing you dont jump down your helmet wearing riding buddies throught for smoking at a ride break. If you do, good for you.

I spent a year in Afghanistan defending peoples right to do as they chose. Been shot at, RPG'd and blown up twice. I'll take my chances riding sensibly without a helmet for a half season or less until I find a proper fitting helmet that doesnt distract me while I ride.

Its not like I'm a squid asking how to pop wheelies in a baseball cap, I'm trying to find a proper fitting lid to protect my dome. But thanks anyway.

Comment

no, more like would rather take a risk and focus on the road than be wearing and uncomfortable helmet and be destracted. As obviously im not dead yet.

There is around 5,000 people killed in mortocycle accidents each year give or take. This figure is including helmet wearers and non helmet wearers.
                    Approx 5.4 million people are killed each year by smoking.

But im guessing you dont jump down your helmet wearing riding buddies throught for smoking at a ride break. If you do, good for you.

I spent a year in Afghanistan defending peoples right to do as they chose. Been shot at, RPG'd and blown up twice. I'll take my chances riding sensibly without a helmet for a half season or less until I find a proper fitting helmet that doesnt distract me while I ride.

Its not like I'm a squid asking how to pop wheelies in a baseball cap, I'm trying to find a proper fitting lid to protect my dome. But thanks anyway.
                    Everyone I ride with has stopped smoking. only kid that sill does i barley ride with because "yo I need a boggie" On a ride is annoying,
                    5.4 million people die because of smoking because they choose to. Its dumb thats all there is to it. Just like riding with out a helmet. I don't care if its a law or not its just a really bad choice. **** happens, people go down. If you can afford a bike you can afford the gear to go with it.
                    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
                    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Go to a store, try helmets on.

If it doesnt fit, well you might as well not be wearing one at all. Can spend your money on sweet sunglasses
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you can afford a bike you can afford the gear to go with it.
                        I dont disagree, not once did i say, "Yo helmets are expensive, im not gonna go down, Im too good, I dont need one." Ive logged approx 3k miles on the Kat since i bought it, 90% of which were with a helmet. I asked the question because Im in the market for a new proper fitting helmet. This March we got some unseasonably warm tempertures and we had riding weather. But I finally got sick of wearing ill fitting equipment.

Im sorry for even asking

Comment

sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'm told I have an oblong shaped head and I know that HTCs give me a hot spot from pressure on the forehead. Shoei helmets fit me very well and the Scorpions I've tried fit well, too. Definitely got to a shop and start trying things on. Pay close attention to any pressure points and make sure of what fits. Remember that a new helmet will fit you tighter than an old one. You shouldn't be able to move it by turning your head side to side and the cheekpads should feel like they're giving you a little bit of a fish face. The fit will loosen up a bit as you wear it.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'm not sure of what link I was on (or what I was researching).... but there's a helmet out there with pumps to adjust your fit. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I know they exist.
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X