X

I was surprised - keeping the Kat over a Speed Four

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was surprised - keeping the Kat over a Speed Four

Since the first time I saw one, I have been in love with the Triumph Speed Four - especially in lime green. Never saw one in person, only in pics, but I always told myself if I found one for sale at a reasonable price I'd buy it. Fast forward to last week, my Kat is just the way I want it and I'm extremely happy with it but I happen to walk into a used car dealership while looking for a car for my mom and what do I see? A lime green Speed Four on the showroom floor.

Of course I immediately asked how much they wanted for it, and when they said "$3500" my brain nudged my consience and said "Sell the Kat..." I mulled over the Triumph for a few days and avoided the street the dealership was on just so I wouldn't go in and look at the SF again. Finally I couldn't take it anymore. I left work a little early and rode up to the dealership.

Once there I spoke to the owner of the lot, who also happened to own and ride the Triumph. We talked for a while and he looked over my bike, then he threw me an offer: "Would you be interested in trading this Katana +$1000 for the Speed Four?" I almost handed him the key but common sense suddenly burst to the front of my mind. I insisted I ride it before making a decision.

He agreed and rolled the bike out the door. I hopped on and almost pulled it right over on it's side, as it wasn't nearly the weight of the Kat. I liked it so far. The bike accomodated my small frame pretty nicely too. I fired her up and rolled out. The bike was certainly not a Kat, which was good up until 35 mph when I started to miss the wind protection. Very torquey and easy to toss around - I rolled into it getting on the highway and lifted the front end slightly. I was having a blast, both figuratively and literally, as the wind beat me up. I knew I wouldn't be riding this comfortably on long trips like I can on the Kat.

Once back at the car lot I hopped off and gave the bike a careful inspection. One of the front signals was a square trailer light. The paint had some slight imperfections on that side too. And a little repair work was obvious. The bike had 20k on it compared with the 7500 on my Kat. It was small, fairly uncomfortable. It was, however, light, beautiful and fast.

The owner came out and said "Just roll yours on in the showroom there and take that one home with ya"! I looked at the two bikes sitting there, their headlights looking back at me with seemingly puppy-dog expressions. "I think I have to pass. It's a nice bike but its the total opposite of what I have now and I'm really happy with that."

The owner rebutted with an offer of Kat +$750. I said no. "How about your bike and $500? You can't beat that!" Couldn't deny it was a good offer, but I turned it down. As I rode off I was reminded of why I love my bike. At the first stoplight I came to a girl in the car next to me waved and smiled, "I love your bike, it's nice!" Yeah it is, and comfy and reliable, and inexpensive to operate...
    Originally posted by katanawarrior
    I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Personally, i think the Katanas are great looking bikes, and yours is one of the better looking Katanas. I think you made a great choice.

Comment

Way to resist temptation, Shifty.
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

You're a stronger man than I.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well I told myself I would keep the Kat AT LEAST a year, and I'll be honest I have looked at other bikes too, but nothing does everything the Kat does for the same money. When I ride it I feel totally comfortable, when I look at it I'm in love with it at all angles, and when I open it up it always makes me smile. No need to go for something else right now - the grass is not always greener on the other side. If I could get something like the Speed Four as a second bike I'd do it, but that's not an option.
          Originally posted by katanawarrior
          I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

when i bought my kat i figured i would learn to ride on it and then move onto something else. but the more i ride the thing the more i like it and i have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon. the kat is a way nicer bike than i ever imagined and suits my needs/wants perfectly.

Comment

I keep hearing and seeing things about Triumph. I don't know that I could've resisted it but as far as wind protection I feel ya on that. I took my bf's CBR for to class today - about an hour drive - and wanted to die because of the wind! True, we have a "wind advisory today" but I think the Kat would've held it's own. Maybe in time you'll be able to afford both. Love the white too!!

Comment

yeah way stronger then I....I ran my kitty off down the street long ago.....I sure do miss her though....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I just love a happy ending!!

I wonder how much I will miss my Kat once it's sold .....
                  2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                  Black
                  Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                  Red
                  Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by Electrical_Tech View Post
                    I just love a happy ending!!

I wonder how much I will miss my Kat once it's sold .....

Your back and butt will miss it. Might I suggest this:

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I was gonna order one of those last year for the wife. Have to order it for me now I missed out on a couple of second handers ...
                      2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                      Black
                      Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                      Red
                      Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

I think it's the over all value we get from these bikes that make us fall in love with them...

For my $1950, I couldn't have spent better money on a first bike... It cost half as much as my wife's Ninja500 when I got it... and performed just as well and sounded way, way cooler...

When my wife moved on to an '07 ZZR, I was impressed by the value of that Kawi too... Less $ than the up to date SS 600's but all the performance (at least what I could get out of one)....

Then I was talked in to buying the R1 for $4k... Now that's the most bang for buck I'll ever come across...

And with that, the Value of my bike now is what makes me like it more and more every day...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

The title of this should have been "Do I ride it home,,, part 2"
                          sigpic
                          1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

man, i would have bit on that $500....maybe not, but i would have taken it at least for another test drive.
                            Godspeed
                            CSBA #1167
                            Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

I think you made the right choice. An old Trumpet with 20K on it v. a newer bike with way lower miles and fully faired.....You passed the test!

Comment

Working...
                              X