Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Help! Why is my exhaust smelling gasoline?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Why is my exhaust smelling gasoline?

Can you please send me advice if it's normal?, when the engine is running, i smell gasoline in my exhaust, does it mean my engine is not burning my fuel?

Originally posted by slowspeed View Post
    does it mean my engine is not burning my fuel?
    Either that ... or you have one of those magic systems that produces fuel in the exhaust pipe that can then be collected and pumped back to the tank to provide an infinite range.

A very faint fuel smell is not necessarily a major problem.

A strong fuel smell (once the bike is warm) probably indicates a dirty air filter, carb issues (leaking float seals / dirty jets / poor tune ...) or a fouled / misfiring plug. Depending when it was last done, a full tune including valve clearances, plugs, air filter, carb clean probably wouldn't go astray.

Are you running stock exhaust and clean stock air filter?

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
      Either that ... or you have one of those magic systems that produces fuel in the exhaust pipe that can then be collected and pumped back to the tank to provide an infinite range.

A very faint fuel smell is not necessarily a major problem.

A strong fuel smell (once the bike is warm) probably indicates a dirty air filter, carb issues (leaking float seals / dirty jets / poor tune ...) or a fouled / misfiring plug. Depending when it was last done, a full tune including valve clearances, plugs, air filter, carb clean probably wouldn't go astray.

Are you running stock exhaust and clean stock air filter?
      nope,i modified it to 4.2.1. and when i got the bike the air filter box is missing so i installed an after market air filter,i attached it to the existing carburator manifold airbox,thank you for your advice,i will check it at once..

Comment

Hey Mannung....check your air mixture screw settings...you may be too rich at idle.
        79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Originally posted by sixdog View Post
          Hey Mannung....check your air mixture screw settings...you may be too rich at idle.
          thanks for the advice..i did clean my carburator,added some gasoline treatment and i think the results so far were okey....

Comment

Working...
          X