X

Petcock Problem or Carbs Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock Problem or Carbs Problem

Ok so here is my problem. I decided to take my bike out on a ride today and it died on my during my ride. I have already run about two treatments of carb cleaners thru my bike and about 6 tanks of fuel. If I placed the petcock on Res or On, I can ride the bike for a short period and then it stalls, but if I move the petcock to pri then it will run and run and run. I just pulled my K&N pods off cleaned and oiled them. My bike is a 92 600 Katana. It has a stage 1 (I believe) jet kit, the air pods, and a vance and hines SSR exhaust. Any idea what my problem is?

Thanks in advance for your help

you running your bike on prime is flooding your plugs thats might be your problem your plugs are foul but you will need carbs work after you change your plugs
    sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Sounds like a bad petcock assembly to me, Just rebuild it and you should be good to go.

Also check the vacumn line to the petcock to make sure it is not cracked.

Tmod

Comment

So in ON or RES is dies, but on PRI it runs fin all the time?
        Can only mean 3 things..
        1. there is an sporadic problem in the vacuum line running to the petcock. So it eventually stops providing enough vacuum to keep the petcock open.
        2. the petcock diaphragm is dead/dying
        3. thats it really. I was going to say the filter screen is clogged but that would effect PRI the same as ON/RES.

Man of few words Tmod beat me to it! Good job!

Comment

I had the same deal on my bike it was

"2. the petcock diaphragm is dead/dying"

Comment

Great Thanks for the help guys, guess I will do a little searching online to buy a rebuild kit for the Petcock and hopefully that resolves my problem.

Comment

I recall reading (probably from Arsenic) that the K&N pods flow TOO WELL for the petcock to function. Not enough vacuum is allowed to form so the petcock closes. Define "short period" for me. You might just be running off the residual fuel in the bowls, then once that runs out turning it to prime allows them to refill. Just an idea, but it might be worth investigating.
              The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
                I recall reading (probably from Arsenic) that the K&N pods flow TOO WELL for the petcock to function. Not enough vacuum is allowed to form so the petcock closes. Define "short period" for me. You might just be running off the residual fuel in the bowls, then once that runs out turning it to prime allows them to refill. Just an idea, but it might be worth investigating.
                But if he has been running for awhile with the K&N pods and it ran fine I doubt that is the issue.

It sounds like something that just happened that is causing this problem.

Tmod

Comment

still, K&N still sucks

Comment

the short period I am referring to is less than a quarter of a mile while the petcock is set to on or res. Aresnic, what do you recommend other than K & N?

Comment

oem, PERIOD

Comment

I thought if you jetted your carbs and added an aftermarket exhaust you had to remove the OEM airbox?

Comment

Nope it is preferred to keep the stock airbox and the stock filter for that Katana.

You may be able to use airbox mods and other mods to increase airflow but I would imagine you would need some dyno time as well as a wideband O2 setup to get the fuel curve correct.

Tmod

Comment

what he said

Comment

Thanks, I will put the OEM airbox back on. And start from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X