Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

01 katana 750 stolen then recovered.... Now what?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 katana 750 stolen then recovered.... Now what?

A week ago my 2001 Katana 750 was stolen as I dropped off some delivery bags. Keys were in ignition helmet was on mirror - it couldn't have been any easier for a thief. But I was gone only 2 minutes. Anyways, the sfpd found my bike 36 hrs later and towed it. I went to get it and found a stripped down version. All the plastic, mirrors, front turn signals, helmet, saddle bags was gone but the seat wasnt taken or tires. In fact I hesitantly started her up and I was blown away when there seemed to be nothing wrong (other than the appearance). Now I've done a few rides to work etc and I think it's idling fast and running hot. I noticed that the fuel knob is facing forward (9:00 clock). I believe this is the reserve position. Could this account for the hot idle? Now that this katana has been released from its outer shell, are there any areas I need to pay special attention to? Electrical sensitive components ? Any areas I need to cover up with some makeshift plastic cover? The front blinkers are gone and so is the top headlight. Will that throw the electrical system off? And lastly, who buys 10+ year old scraped up and cracked plastic body parts?
    Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this bizarre situation.
    Julian

-------------------------------
    Update to my stolen Katana story. Insurance gave me 2 options: 1. Keep the salvaged bike and they pay me $2600. 2. Turn over the bike and they pay me $3500.
    I am definitely keeping the bike as my project Katana. I need front blinkers and some mirrors that work & I am golden! I found a Vstrom on Craigslist for $2500. I might move on that as well.
    Very happy with the outcome of this mess! Props to SFPD for finding the bike in under 48 hours! And to Foremost Insurance for doing what they are supposed to do without and fuss or fight.
    And thanks for the messages and posts from KatRiders.

Here is a breakdown of the Insurance numbers:

Actual Cash Value: $3361.00
    Salvage Value: $769.67

Your two settlement choices are retaining the salvage or not retaining the
    salvage.

IF YOU RETAIN SALVAGE
    $3361.00 Actual Cash Value
    - $769.67 Salvage Value
    = $2591.33
    + $226.74 8.75% Sales Tax
    + $19.00 Title Fee
    = $2837.07
    - $250.00 Deductible
    = $2587.07 Cash Settlement

IF YOU DO NOT RETAIN SALVAGE
    $3361.00 Actual Cash Value
    + $294.09 8.75% Sales Tax
    + $108.00 CA Vehicle Registration
    = $3763.09
    - $250.00 Deductible
    = $3513.09 Cash Settlement
    Last edited by Julian109; 11-05-2014, 05:11 AM. Reason: Updated Info!

Low oil level will cause over heating, the plastics do direct the air over the motor but, what you preceive as over heating may just be that you now feel the heat from the motor due to lack of plastics. Missing lights will not harm your electrical. Check your fuel and filter for contaminates.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 10-20-2014, 12:06 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Welcome to KR, sorry it isn't under better circumstances.
      9 o'clock position would be reserve. Won't change idle or temp.

How do you know the bike is running hot? Not like it has a temp gauge, what are you going by?

As far as it idling high, the idle adjustment knob may have gotten moved around when things were being pulled off. Or you might have a vac leak caused by a loose hose.

I'm pretty sure CA law says you need headlights and turn signals so you might want to get that taken care of.

Lots of people turn their bikes into "street fighters" and I've never heard mention of them doing anything to protect against the elements. Missing parts might mess with things, but hard to say exactly with all sorts of bits and bobs missing.

+1 to you might just be feeling warm air that was previously directed away before.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        ... the plastics do direct the air over the motor but, ....

How does that work for the bandit... with basically the same version of engine, no fairings, but smaller oil cooler?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I didn't say that was his problem. Just a general statement.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            I didn't say that was his problem. Just a general statement.

Yeah, I understand your not saying it's specifically the problem, but...

...that's a general statement that's been repeated before to suggest the fairings are needed and or help for cooling.

My general question was asking how that is using another bike with no fairings, the same engine, smaller oil cooler.

That information would suggest that the fairings actually hinder the cooling and is why Kats are equipped with a larger oil cooler than the bandits.

So that's why I'm asking... how?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I can see how no fairing would cool better. Air flowing over the entire engine verse just portions of the head.
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

thanks for the replies and the info. adjusting the idle screw made it run much better. My ins co says they will pay $3500 for my claim if its totaled. I guess it will cost more to replace all the plastics and parts then its worth. Maybe i can buy it back from the ins co. Cuz it runs great, lighter and more agile in its street fighter mode.
                Thanks again!
                J

Comment

Lighter and more agile is a joke, the fairings only make the bike more aerodynamic. Even though there's still not a massive benefit of them over a 'streetfighter-ish' setup. The fairings only weight a few pounds at most.

If they're going to pay 3500 for the bike, see how much it is to buy it back. If you make it DIY you could easily source a Chinese fairing kit or used OEM on ebay and fix them up fairly cheap.
                  - Purplehaze
                  All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

The way I see it, Plastics are only there for looks, and to direct heat away from the rider. I dont see much aerodynamics going on in the front end of my Pre 600. Its quite blocky in my opinion.
                    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

3500?? Really? Dude check Craigslist, that's more than you can buy a new bike for. If they total it you can easily get a replacement. Or buy your bike back, put some of the $ towards fixing it up, and pocket the rest. If you do a lot of the work yourself, no way it'll cost 3500 to fix.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                        3500?? Really? Dude check Craigslist, that's more than you can buy a new bike for. If they total it you can easily get a replacement. Or buy your bike back, put some of the $ towards fixing it up, and pocket the rest. If you do a lot of the work yourself, no way it'll cost 3500 to fix.

I completely agree. I would have 2 more bikes around here. probably both kats, or maybe a kat and another old GS. I kinda have a soft spot for them GS's...
                        1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

yah, for $3500, i'd just let it go.
                          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Julian109 View Post
                            thanks for the replies and the info. adjusting the idle screw made it run much better. My ins co says they will pay $3500 for my claim if its totaled. I guess it will cost more to replace all the plastics and parts then its worth. Maybe i can buy it back from the ins co. Cuz it runs great, lighter and more agile in its street fighter mode.
                            Find out what it would cost to buy it back and price out the parts yourself. Usually the parts aren't too expensive, it's the labor to install them all (and paint everything to match) that makes repairs ridiculously expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Julian109 View Post
                              thanks for the replies and the info. adjusting the idle screw made it run much better. My ins co says they will pay $3500
                              WHAT!!!! Someone come steal my 06!
                              All the world's a stage,
                              And all the men and women merely players;
                              They have their exits and their entrances,
                              And one man in his time plays many parts,
                              His acts being seven ages.

Comment

Working...
                              X