X

Should I change fork oil?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I change fork oil?

I bought a used 2003 750 2 years ago with 8800 miles. I've put on 4000 and the bike runs great, as far as I know, with no fork problems.

Should I be worried about the age of the fork oil with so few miles but 11 or more years on it?

If a knowledgeable source here tells me it is highly advisable to change the oil because it breaks down over time regardless of the mileage then I will. If I decide to upgrade the fork springs to Race Tech, for example, would it be a poor choice to only upgrade the springs without additional internal parts changed like valve kits or emulators?

Do better springs with quality oil make an appreciable difference that makes changing them worthwhile if you don't change the other parts? Rather not spend a ton of money if changing the springs alone is a big improvement.

Originally posted by nelson muntz View Post
    I bought a used 2003 750 2 years ago with 8800 miles. I've put on 4000 and the bike runs great, as far as I know, with no fork problems.

Should I be worried about the age of the fork oil with so few miles but 11 or more years on it?

If a knowledgeable source here tells me it is highly advisable to change the oil because it breaks down over time regardless of the mileage then I will. If I decide to upgrade the fork springs to Race Tech, for example, would it be a poor choice to only upgrade the springs without additional internal parts changed like valve kits or emulators?

Do better springs with quality oil make an appreciable difference that makes changing them worthwhile if you don't change the other parts? Rather not spend a ton of money if changing the springs alone is a big improvement.

yes, the oil goes rancid. Should be changed at least every 2 years.

Springs will greatly improve the soft/diving issue.

Emulators will make the forks work like they should and give you a smooth comfortable ride at slower speeds cruising around, and a quicker response at higher speeds when your aggressive.

Currently the stock damping is exactly the opposite... harsh when slow, and soft when fast... exactly what you don't want.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yes change the oil. Installing new spring like race tech springs for your weight is a big change but, rebuilding your rear shock and installing an emulator cartridge to the front along with the springs is a "night and day" difference.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Even if you just put the same springs back in, change the oil. My bike is 4 yrs older and had 11,000 miles and the oil was disgusting. I ended up with racetech springs but was a big difference with just new oil. As long as you have a way to hold the front of the bike off the ground it is simple to do and you will notice a difference.

Comment

Working...
        X