No announcement yet.
X

Katana in a Minivan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the Kat does wipe out the fact that you drive a mini-van. Besides, how many people can say they have a vehicle specifically designes as a covered, temperature controlled motorcycle carrier?

And I like the puppies, they look cute!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Matt...props on the van.

Seriously, whenever I go somewhere and rent a car, its always a van. It's so much more comfortable and spacy when you have a bunch of friends and all those cases of beer. 8)

Its the Caddilac of minivans (Get Shorty)

Comment

I need to get a trailer for the gap trip..maybe I'll just rent a minivan instead!

Comment

I would NEVER consider driving to the Gap with my bike in a minivan. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!!

Why? Because I was carrying a tool chest in my Bronco once and slid off the road in the winter. I stop, but my toolchest didn't. It hit my seat with an amazing amount of force. It din't do any damage, but I am just glad I was not going faster.

Do you have any idea what a 350-500lb bike will do if you happen to get into an accident? If you think your straps will hold it...well....you have more faith than I do. Just be warned...it can be dangerous.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I had my kat in the van before but I put it in from the side door cause there was more clearance. Bike fit in with the winshield and mirrors on no problem. I had it in the van several times and I could do it myself in less than 20minutes. First time too a while but then you get the knack.
            Oh and a question for Mojoe. How do you transport your bike around if you have to? Straps can break just as easy in a trailer if you have an accident as they can in the back of your van. Can you imagine a 500lb bike flying off the back of a trailer into your vehicle. If you would've had your tool box strapped down it may not have slid all around the vehicle when you hit the ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by ProZak
              Oh and a question for Mojoe. How do you transport your bike around if you have to? Straps can break just as easy in a trailer if you have an accident as they can in the back of your van. Can you imagine a 500lb bike flying off the back of a trailer into your vehicle. If you would've had your tool box strapped down it may not have slid all around the vehicle when you hit the ditch.
              1st...I have a trailer.

2nd...you don't need to be in an accident for the straps to break. I have had them break from a good bump.

3rd...Yes, I can imagine a 500lb bike flying at the back of my car if in an accident. But I can also imagine in flying over or around my car and missing me completely. I can also imagine the structure of my vehicle slowing the bike down significantly. What I DON'T want to imagine is the bike flying at me from 2ft away and mashing me against the dash and windshield.

4th...You are right. If my toolbox was strapped down it never would have slid around like it did. I learned my lesson without getting hurt, which enables me to have the experience to offer my advice on the dangers involved.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I rented a full size van, like a 12 or 15 passenger one, and delivered a biek to Memphis last year. Took one of my sons with me.........bike rolled right up into the long beast, (took off windscreen) and strapped her down with 4 straps and we hauled........well, you know. 13 hours..........

If I was coming to the Gap this summer from a long way away.....I'd DEFINITELY consider a large van. TONS of room inside, haul bieks on trailer AND inside, tons of gear space, crash out sleeping space (yes, even I can stretch out in one of those!), and you can split the cost with someone!
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I agree with Special K, a fullsize van is awesome for two to four people and a bike. I am purposely going to install captains chairs in the back behind the front seats to make room for the bike.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                    Originally posted by Batgirl
                    600newbie...it was his friends...he worked for Chrysler, it was a test vehicle...had a stickshift!
                    He didn't tell ME all that! Where is 600newbie anyways?
                    he goes by the name of TZORTN now...same avatar...the blacksmith...sometimes Batgirl...I wonder if you have done a lot of drugs when you were younger
                    Range has it right BG. 600newbie=tzortn.

Yes, my buddy brought is SV650 to the gap in a Chrylser minivan. The body of the van was stock the powertrain was not. He had to take off the windscreen and a couple body panels. He used the seat mounts to tie the bike down. He loaded the bike through the back door using a singlewide ramp.

Comment

hhhmmmm.. I wonder if you could fit 2 bikes in 1 of those vans...

Comment

When I got the wrecked Kat that I'm rebuilding now, I brought it home in the back of a jeep cherokee with the front wheel sticking out of the back and the hatch bunged down. Good enough for rock and roll!

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                          hhhmmmm.. I wonder if you could fit 2 bikes in 1 of those vans...
                          Possibly one facing front and the other back...but it would be extremely tight! And with 2 Kats and 2 people, adding aout 1000 extra ponds in one of those!
                          Always keep your head up

Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X