X

question about swing arm for 82 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about swing arm for 82 Kat

Took my bike apart and I ran into a problem with my swing arm.The bolt that holds it onto the frame,is there a special tool to take it out?Or do I just hammer the bolt out?Thanks in advance!

If it has been in there a long time & not been lubed, start pounding!!! Sorry but that's what it's going to take. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

That is a fairly common problem with these old bikes, especially as Ray mentions if they have sat unlubed for a long time. You will likely have to pound it out but it can help if you apply liberal doses of penetrating fluid (Deep Creep, Liquid Wrench, WD40 etc). alternating with heat. A propane torch is all you need applied to the bolt head and thread area. You might need to get it close to cherry in order for the bolt to expand so that when it cools it will shrink enough to break the grip the rust has on it.

If you have access to a compressor and pneumatic hammer you can give it a shot with that to start it off. Just be carefull not to "mushroom" the tip of the bolt. Also make sure that the frame is well anchored and maybe get a helping hand to steady it as you pound away.

It will come loose. When you put it back together pack it well with grease or better yet tap the swingarm pivot tube for a zerk fitting so you can lube it with things in place.

Good luck with it and ler us know how it goes. Pictures too are appreciated and give us an idea of what you're planning.

Cheers,
      spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post

It will come loose. When you put it back together pack it well with grease or better yet tap the swingarm pivot tube for a zerk fitting so you can lube it with things in place.

Cheers,
        spyug
        Would it be safer if you take the bearings out if you putting the fitting in?

My pivot bolt was hard to get out the first time. I just pounded like everyone said. I used an old square head screw drive in the center and hit it being careful as Spyug said-so not to mushroom the threaded put. Then when I had enough space on the other-I just pulled it out with some force.

Now it goes in out like nothing.

Comment

You definitely need to pull the thing apart and change the bearings and cleanup the pivot bolt. As I mentioned, if the you tap the pivot tube for a grease fitting when you put it back together you can then pump it full of grease which will keep moisture outfrom then on.

Easy to do just make sure the fitting you use is short in length so as not to rub on the bolt when installed. In some cases, you may need to install on a slight angle to get clearance.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Working...
          X