X

SS brake lines

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS brake lines

Hey guys, I've read up and been told that I should be upgrading to SS lines because they're not only fantastic for what they do, they also do their job very well and look great while doing it.

So I've read through this link a few times:

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
    swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
    Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

BUT I HAVE QUESTIONS!

None of the pics will show up anymore because the thread above is soooo old.

Can anyone post up a pic or two of their SS lines? I'm interested to see what they look like in comparison to the OEM lines.

Also, what the heck should I be asking for when I order?

I found this info on the old thread, but it's for PRE kats!!!

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post
    An update for the sake of posterity. Please share the info around because I couldn't find it.

Brake line lengths:

Pre Katana 600 (verified on 1997 model)

2 line setup in the front.
    Left side (long side) should be 29"
    Right side (short side/reservoir side) should be 27"
    Rear line should be 20"

Connection at the front reservoir will require a 2 banjo fitting sized banjo bolt with 3 washers. Single banjo fitting sized bolt and 2 washers per caliper connection.

Connection at rear will be a single banjo fitting bolt with 2 washers for each end of the line.

Measurements derived from center of banjo fitting to center of banjo fitting. Add 0.5" if you go to the end edge of banjo fitting to the end edge of banjo fitting.

This assumes you use straight banjo fittings and not 90 degree bend ones.

I don't know the thread sizing for the banjo bolts.

In order to make this as comprehensive as possible would anyone else check and confirm on their bikes so we can get the lengths needed for each model and year? This would make it dead simple for ordering for everyone!

Does anyone know if the whole "pre vs post" and "600 vs 750" length issues got resolved?

Also! What colours can you choose from? What do they look like???
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Hi, that was one of my projects this winter. Bought HEL ss lines from moto- heaven. Great service had to call them to make sure it would fit on my 2006 750 katana.
    Changed the front to two seperate lines.. And the rear also.. Just started riding last week with it and very nice.
    Attached Files
    2006 GSX 750F Black Kat

Comment

A few more pics...
      Attached Files
      2006 GSX 750F Black Kat

Comment

I bought SS lines for my 1100 from G&J. They look just like Bauds' except for the yellow brand label. You'll notice a definite improvement in the feel of the brakes. I like the looks better, too but that's just cosmetics. The other advantage that doesn't get much attention is that rubber lines only last about 5 years. SS lines are good for life.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Aaron-71,

Sorry about that I changed my website domain and there are several posts from me on here that have links to the old site. If anyone reads a post by me that is missing the images let me know and I will get them corrected.

Oh post 1 has been corrected.

Tmod

Comment

I just did the two line setup and love it. I found a local hydraulic line place near me ( Pirtek ). I took my old lines in and they used those to get the fitting angles. I left all three lines connected together to lay out for comparison with the new lines. The shop had them done in 30 minutes and it cost me $69.00. Some people have had a hard time bleeding the brakes. I picked up one of the mighty had brake bleeders and it worked great. You will be disgusted by how bad the old fluid is compared to the new fluid.

Comment

If you're going to order from G&J, just ask to talk to George. He had a notebook fill of all relevant issue. Tell him what year and engine size the bike is, and he'll have all the lengths and angles and fittings etc. in that notebook. I was on the phone for maybe 6 minutes total including giving credit card and shipping info.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

SS Brake lines ,got these on line & they have different colors too/
                New banjo bolts and washers.
                Attached Files

Comment

I still am able to get all the HEL and Venhill SS Lines for our bikes as well. Working to get my site back up and going.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Just throwing this out here..reverse brake bleeding/ if your installing new brake lines.

This video shows how back feed hydraulic brake systems. You will find these hydraulic systems on many motorcycles and atvs. Thank you for watching. Please su...

bought the syringes at the local animal clinic for about 2 bucks each
                    ( no needles of course ) get a couple clean empty bottles and some clear
                    plastic tubing and your all set.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                      Aaron-71,

Sorry about that I changed my website domain and there are several posts from me on here that have links to the old site. If anyone reads a post by me that is missing the images let me know and I will get them corrected.

Oh post 1 has been corrected.

Tmod

No worries!

I didn't know if everyone was still around or not because the posts from your original link dated back to 2008/2009 IIRC.

EDIT: THANKS FOR POSTING UP THE PICS AGAIN!!! Those smoked sheathed lines look AMAZING!

I just threw this post up to see what everyone would say because I wanted to order the kit from G&J, but wanted to know more about what I was getting into!

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'll call G&J and see what George has to say.

Anyone have a link/suggestion for good "speed bleeders" that I can install on my bike? I wouldn't mind making the whole bleeding process easier unless that youtube link and those syringes are the best way to go.

Second edit: Fantastic!

Just ordered my SS lines from George Fishback Jr. over the phone. Sounded like a very professional man, and did an excellent job taking my information over the phone.

Ordered the 98-06 Charcoal (dark grey) SS lines for a 600 CC engine.

Did the 2-line front and the single line rear (just to clean things up a bit in the front... plus I've read that bleeding is easier).

Total order came out to $74.25 for the lines, $15 (estimate because I'm in Canada) for shipping.

THAT IS ONE FANTASTIC DEAL! G&J definitely deserves reps for their service!

Now just gotta wait to get my email receipt from George and see what he says about how long it will take for shipping.
                      Last edited by Aaron-71; 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      - Aaron

Comment

Thanks for asking the initial question and also posting the followup. Been wondering about this myself for a while but never got around to asking the question. Gonna get on the phone and give G&J a call.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax View Post
                          Thanks for asking the initial question and also posting the followup. Been wondering about this myself for a while but never got around to asking the question. Gonna get on the phone and give G&J a call.
                          No worries! Glad to hear my blabbing about old info on this topic has helped someone else out.

I still have yet to hear from George, but I think I'll wait until next week to start worrying... It is a long weekend, and I doubt they got anything done with my order haha.

Updates when I know more (emails, phone calls, etc).
                          - Aaron

Comment

Shipping for me took about 5 days. I've got relatives in Alberta - sending them anything takes forever. Hope you don't have to wait long.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                              Shipping for me took about 5 days. I've got relatives in Alberta - sending them anything takes forever. Hope you don't have to wait long.
                              Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what GF Jr. says when he gets back to me.

I'm hoping that I can get the lines within 2 weeks (would be optimal), but I can wait longer if needed. Shipping to Canada sucks...

We need American parts warehouses in Canada
                              - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                              X