X

Gash in Carbon Fiber Exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gash in Carbon Fiber Exhaust

So true to my self, when I got my 2-bros carbon fiber exhaust last year, I tried putting it on in too much of a hurry and it wasn't fully secured. Anyways, it ended up scratching on the cotter pin or something on the passenger peg. I wasn't too concerned because it's on the inside so you can't see it unless you are down on the ground looking through the rear tire.

Anyways - so this year and notice that where the scratch is it's kind of flaking off and feels week. I almost feel like I could push my finger through the gash cause it feels soft. This is a $500 exhaust so I'm pretty pissed at my self right now, but since it was clearly my fault, I am not going to try to complain to 2-bros.

My question - Is there anything I can try to patch it up with to avoid it getting worse? I don't really care about the look of it matching carbon fiber since it's on the side facing the bike and rear tire, I just want to make sure I don't completely ruin this exhaust by not addressing it. I was thinking some exhaust tape, but don't want to have to wrap it around the front side of the pipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PS: I'm at work right now but if it will help I can get a picture of it later this evening.
    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
    So true to my self, when I got my 2-bros carbon fiber exhaust last year, I tried putting it on in too much of a hurry and it wasn't fully secured. Anyways, it ended up scratching on the cotter pin or something on the passenger peg. I wasn't too concerned because it's on the inside so you can't see it unless you are down on the ground looking through the rear tire.

Anyways - so this year and notice that where the scratch is it's kind of flaking off and feels week. I almost feel like I could push my finger through the gash cause it feels soft. This is a $500 exhaust so I'm pretty pissed at my self right now, but since it was clearly my fault, I am not going to try to complain to 2-bros.

My question - Is there anything I can try to patch it up with to avoid it getting worse? I don't really care about the look of it matching carbon fiber since it's on the side facing the bike and rear tire, I just want to make sure I don't completely ruin this exhaust by not addressing it. I was thinking some exhaust tape, but don't want to have to wrap it around the front side of the pipe. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PS: I'm at work right now but if it will help I can get a picture of it later this evening.

Contact 2-bro and see what a replacement sleave would cost.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

When I did my hugger, the place I bought the supplies has high temp resin. May work.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks, I didn't realize I could just have a new sleeve put on.

Going to email them now, in the mean time, should I put my stock exhaust back on until its patched? Since it's a carbon fiber sleeve, would that mean theres like a regular steel can insides of it and the gashed carbon fiber on the outside is purely cosmetic?
        - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
          Thanks, I didn't realize I could just have a new sleeve put on.

Going to email them now, in the mean time, should I put my stock exhaust back on until its patched? Since it's a carbon fiber sleeve, would that mean theres like a regular steel can insides of it and the gashed carbon fiber on the outside is purely cosmetic?

Most all aftermarket straight through designed mufflers have the same basic components that make it up.

The outer shell (in your case the carbon fiber part), the inner perforated pipe, a padding/packing in between them, and then end caps on either end to bring it all together.

Some companies use screw/bolts to put the parts together. Some use rivets. Either way, you remove the hardware, disassemble the parts, replace bad part, put new/old hardware back on to re-assemble.

I didn't watch this entire vid, I just jumped through it real quick to see if it looks to show most of what your going to need to do. It looked like it did. Your specific model may vary. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btprce4zqCY"]repacking two brothers exhaust carbon fiber - YouTube[/nomedia]

*edit* more info...

12. Are Two Brothers Racing canisters rebuildable/repackable and how often do I need to do this?
          A. Yes, all Two Brothers Racing canisters are rebuildable. The length of time between repacks varies depending on the type of riding you do and the type of bike you own. Inline fours and sixes are generally very easy on the packing material while singles and big twins tend to be harsh on the packing. We’ve seen sport touring bikes with over 60,000 miles on the mufflers where the packing looked as good as new while we’ve also seen big superbike twins with lot’s of track time burn through the packing in less than 2,000 miles. If you need to repack your canister(s), repack kits are available (one repack kit per canister). The kits come with new rivets, packing material and a drill bit (#30) to remove the old rivets. We also provide the service and it typically runs $25 per canister plus parts.
          Krey
          Last edited by Kreylyn; 04-14-2014, 10:46 AM.
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X