Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Why not just use clip-on risers for taller bars?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not just use clip-on risers for taller bars?

As I have a 750 post, mounting standard risers isn't as easy as on the 600. I'm looking at different ways to get higher bars. I'm wondering, why can't I take off the upper triple handlebar mount and just mount standard clip-ons with risers, like this? http://www.apexmfg.com/all-products/...er-clip-on-set

I don't know if you can install those with the upper triple tree still installed. You can 100% do Rox risers though. Someone on here was recently trying to sell a set, might still be available.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Woah, that's super cool, I didn't even realize those existed! Looking for that sale thread!

Comment

the upper plate that the 750 bars mount on is removable. I shimmed my plate with spacers to raise bars 1". this is about the max with stock cables and hoses. the clip on risers "should" work with maybe longer hoses.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I know the triple is removable, just wasn't sure if it would be safe to do so. Can't see anything harmful about shimming. And if there was anything, you'd probably have noticed it by now.

I'm actually starting to think about doing that. I already swapped 750 triple/bars onto my 600 but I wouldn't mind a little more rise. Figured I'd try free and see if that's good enough before trying the Rox out.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
            the upper plate that the 750 bars mount on is removable. I shimmed my plate with spacers to raise bars 1". this is about the max with stock cables and hoses. the clip on risers "should" work with maybe longer hoses.
            what did you shim with? An inch would probably do me just fine.

Comment

Use these risers for more top-of-the-fork clearance in order to slide the forks up and lower the front end of your Katana while still using the stock top clamp. This saves big money over having to buy a new top clamp.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I don't understand, isn't that top plate completely separate on the 750? As far as I know, I could just run without it and put clip-ons on.

I'm thinking of doing the rox risers, but I looked at my brake lines, and I'd need a new top line for *anything* of a rise. Any other wire/cable that might need extending with a 2" rise?

Comment

Top plate is seperate. I'm just not sure if having it attached to the forks helps provide stability. Maybe it doesn't, no idea.

You can re route existing lines (clutch throttle etc) and get away with not getting anything else, not sure about a full 2" though. Brake lines were the limiting factor on raising my 600.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

An update on that upper plate (specific to 750): It doesn't provide any stability, but it *does* provide rubber mounting, and this is a buzzy bike. When you push steer, the plate can twist and contact the fork, and you'll know it; almost feels like a wheel bearing (I was worried that was it, even after I had changed them, until I realized what was happening)

That said, I think I'm going to give the Rox risers a shot, since losing the rubber mounting is sure to end with numb hands.

Comment

I used 1/2" nylon spacers from Home Depot. 1 in front and 2 in back to tilt the bars as well. Replaced the original bolts with long 3/8" bolts, washer and nylon lock nuts. Pretty comfy for low dollars.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X