center stand vs. kick stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• center stand vs. kick stand

hi,

i'm a newbie, so please excuse the question if it seems obvious to you. i just got a 98 katana 600 and will only be riding it for fun once every week or two. should i be letting it sit on the kickstand or the center stand while it's sitting in my garage? i heard something about the rear tire flattening with the center stand, can anyone confirm?

thanks!

If the bike is going to sit for extended periods of time it is a good idea to put it on the centerstand. http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13623

Comment

I'd put it on the centerstand if you have room, it's more stable if you have kids that like to sit on it at times.
      Kyle

Comment

Re: center stand vs. kick stand

Originally posted by UCLAscholar
        hi,

i'm a newbie, so please excuse the question if it seems obvious to you. i just got a 98 katana 600 and will only be riding it for fun once every week or two. should i be letting it sit on the kickstand or the center stand while it's sitting in my garage? i heard something about the rear tire flattening with the center stand, can anyone confirm?

thanks!
        something tells me after riding the kat for a while you'll want to hop on it more than once every week. i think it'd be ok on the side stand if you did at least ride it once a week, but the center stand would definitely keep you from getting a flat spot. you can do a search to find ways to get it on the center stand if you're having troubles. it can be a pia until you get the hang of it.

Long Live the D

Comment

i wouldnt worry about puting it on the center stand uless its easy knocked over or if your not moving it for a while (2 or 3 weeks) but i would learn how to get it on the stand as easy as you can. in the summer if you rider it to work or suck the ashfualt gets soft when its hot and you kick stand can sink in and your bike will fall over

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
            in the summer if you rider it to work or suck the ashfualt gets soft when its hot and you kick stand can sink in and your bike will fall over
            I've got a little plastic puck that I can slip under the kickstand when I find myself having to park on asphalt; although a flattened soda can will do the job just as well.

It's a little thing, but gives added peace of mind when you have to oh, let's say, sit in the freaking BMV for two hours while waiting to get that most valued "M" endorsement on your license.

Comment

If you put it on the sidestand make sure the bike's in gear not neutral less chance of it getting pushed and the sidestand folding up on you. Remember that if you ever park on a hill.
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
              X