X

sprockets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprockets

i have a 98 katana with a 14 teeth n the front and 45 in the rear what size should i go too for more off the line, low end torque i have a a full d&d exhaust with a stage 1 jet kit change need some pick up off the line

How long have you been riding would be my first question??
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
      How long have you been riding would be my first question??
      that's what i'm talking about.....give it to him Thazkat.
      spank that young man's arse. ok, i need sleep really bad.

www.vwvortex.com
      I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
      Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Comment

Yes you do!!!

a perfect setup aside from stock is -1 front +1 rear
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

buy a GSX-R that outta do it, just messing with you, Thaz is right.

Comment

Re: sprockets

Originally posted by 93katana
            i have a 98 katana with a 14 teeth n the front and 45 in the rear what size should i go too for more off the line, low end torque i have a a full d&d exhaust with a stage 1 jet kit change need some pick up off the line
            (A) 98 Kat stock sprockets are 15/47. The problem is that while you went down in the front (gains you 7% increase), dropping two in the back at the same time removed about 4.5% of that gain. Returning the rear to 47 tooth will get you a bunch of that gain you want back. See this page for more info on sprocket ratios:
            CyberPoet's "Katana Sprocket Ratios, % changes, Gear Ratios, and info page" at MotorcycleAnchor.com.

(B) Not all stage 1 kits are the same. The DynoJet kit (also sold under the K&N label previously) are better than stock, but only slightly. Using Ivan's Performance Products Stage 1 kit will net you a much bigger boost. With the aftermarket exhaust headers, you'll need to get any kit tuned with an exhaust gas analyzer (and preferably a dyno as well) to get the most out of it... stage 1 kits are designed for bikes which are stock exhaust & intake and must be tweaked for significant changes in air intake or exhaust flow rates.

(C) If you are trying to beat race bikes, give up now The fact of the matter is that you are riding a sport-touring bike that's 100 lbs heavier and 15-25 hp less output than a 600cc GSXR/CBR/R6, and once you start talking about 1000cc race bikes, the differences become even more widespread. The only real options to beat them is to either get one of their bikes or to drop a 1100cc engine into your 98 Kat... both very expensive options in the bigger picture. The sprocket ratio changes will only let you do a better job of keeping up with them off the line -- at the price of your top end speed.

KNOW THIS:
            98-05 Kats take their speedo measurement off the output sprocket of the tranny. Changes in sprockets causes false speed readings. Check out YellowBox and SpeedoHealer to correct them.

Ride wise, ride well.
            Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks guys i just want to get some pick up power not trying to drag race, didnt know i would get picked on but thanks for the input

Comment

well id say -1 +2 its got some nicee power and you wont get bored but the +1 is good too, I drag race so i want as much as i can but oh well

Comment

so 14 in front an 47 in reat then right

Comment

Working...
                  X