X
X

How to Paint your Bike or Bike Parts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah...I updated the PDF and changed the name. I updated the link in the other topic, but not here.

Here it is.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

nice paint job makes me want to change my color plan

Comment

I am thinking of repainting it this winter either the same color with more pearl, or a chamelion color. Not sure yet. I am also going to get a sand blaster, and blast everything with walnut.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Ack! The pictures are all dead! Good thing for the printable version....
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Lou....aint saying this to be an ass, but you have a couple of minor "flaws" that you should change in the write-up. You did an excellent job overall, but a couple of your explainations could lead to a nasty mess.

for example....do not wash with break cleaner.
            it can react severely with some paints. you got lucky.

another thing is that you should not have said not to worry about sanding marks because the paint will fill it up. this is not going to happen with basecoat cuz it is wayyyy to thin. if you had of painted your bike black, you would know exactly what I am talking about. If you do fill heavy sanding marks with basecoat, then you have applied wayyy too much basecoat, and this can jeoprodize adhesion.

there were a couple of other minor little things as well.

Like I said, not trying to knock your how to, but I am sure other members on here with painting experience will agree with me. So I can only rate your "how to" a 6 out of 10 for accuracy. However, I give you a 10 for overall effort and presentation. You did great for a newbie. But now that spring is here and folks will be tackling jobs like this, I think your write up should be editted to make it the 10/10 that it could easily be.
            but the way it is now....the few little "errors"....they are enough that I could not in my good conscience reccommend someone to go by that write-up.
            they are small details, but it is the small details that can turn an excellent job into a mess.

please don't take this as negative critisism. I don't mean it that way. if it is critisism, it is constructive critisism. you know....just a friendly suggestion.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

you know.....it bugged me all night that I posted my other "suggestion". I really don't want Lou to think I am knocking his work. My only reason for posting is that I have had a few folks ask my opinion on the "how to" posted here, and it bothers me to point out the flaws because I feel like I am talking behind his back when I point those few things out that I disagree with....and I don't like doing that. And that is why I think a few minor corrections should be made, so I can just say, "ya....great write up.....just do as it says".
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

very informative this will help me out alot
                2004 TRX45R fully built race quad MX and TT
                1998 Triumph Daytona 595T 955cc
                "To thine own self be true"
                TNT Billiards and Powersports

Comment

No worries Mojoe. It was my first attempt, and I wanted to post up to show people how easy it was.

I just wish the pictures were still there!!! I may have them on my computer still, I may have to check into that.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

i was just wondering after you put your final coat of paint on, whats the best way to apply the clear coat? Do you do any sanding?? I'm painting my bike black incase it makes a difference.. And one more thing, when stripping the paint off the tank.. do you just apply the paint remover and sand off whatever the remover doesn't get followed by a bath in paint thinner and a wash? Any scraping involved? Thanks!

Comment

i know im bringen a old post up but it help me so much thanks man
                      DON'T TAZE ME BRO DON'T TAZE ME!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mike7170 View Post
                        i was just wondering after you put your final coat of paint on, whats the best way to apply the clear coat? Do you do any sanding?? I'm painting my bike black incase it makes a difference.. And one more thing, when stripping the paint off the tank.. do you just apply the paint remover and sand off whatever the remover doesn't get followed by a bath in paint thinner and a wash? Any scraping involved? Thanks!

No, I did not sand between paint and clear stages. As for tank stripping, I used a couple of coats, then used a rubber disk on one of the air tools that took the rest of the paint off in the small areas that the stripper didn't remove. Just let the stripper sit for a while til it starts to bubble up really good.

Originally posted by 92katana600 View Post
                        i know im bringen a old post up but it help me so much thanks man

Glad to hear it could help!
                        Last edited by SweetLou; 09-30-2008, 04:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

wait, no pictures?

Great write up man, lol a few years after the post...

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                            wait, no pictures?

Great write up man, lol a few years after the post...

used to have pictars in there, but I think the server that it was on went down.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou View Post
                              used to have pictars in there, but I think the server that it was on went down.
                              That's sad, wish there were pictures. I'll be starting my sanding/repair/painting job next week it looks like.
                              Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Hey. I painted my 1994 600 a Black, red and siliver scheme. I'll have to take pics and post them. Do you guys have any tips on what we could use to protect the paint (esp on the gas tank) from GAS SPILLING. As it stands now gas eats threw paint pretty quickly. But it doesnt do so on cars and their paint jobs. So im wondering what kind of clear coat or treatment I could do to mimic that. Even if just a little.
                                I like'em naked!!

Comment

Working...
                                X