X
X

Carbs 102 The video

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated with part 2, putting them back together. (Still processing on Vimeo).

Coming soon part 3, setting float height (now rendering)

*update all videos now uploaded and waiting on Vimeo.
    Last edited by steves; 06-10-2013, 07:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

All videos now live. Feedback appreciated.
      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

this thing on?
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Great job man. I have done around 6 sets so far, and I wish I had these videos when I started. These videos are quite good. I am sure this will be a huge help to anyone getting started with a carb rebuild.
          Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

I have a question on setting float height. I have always set float height with the carbs setting down (upside down) for measuring the height of the floats. Why do you do it with them sideways and not all the way settled on the float needle?
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
            1993 Suzuki Katana 600
            1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Comment

You can't do it upside down. You are setting the level wrong then.

The needles close when they get to that middle point. In normal operation the flot needle is generally not full inserted into the orafice.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Looks REALLY good Steve. I like the new view.
                sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
                  I have a question on setting float height. I have always set float height with the carbs setting down (upside down) for measuring the height of the floats. Why do you do it with them sideways and not all the way settled on the float needle?

Current rides
                  1993 Suzuki Katana 600
                  Originally posted by steves View Post
                  You can't do it upside down. You are setting the level wrong then.

The needles close when they get to that middle point. In normal operation the flot needle is generally not full inserted into the orafice.
                  Vid is for post kats, and steves is right... post kats have to be tilted to get the proper level, when they floats are not compressing the springs on the float needles.

PRE kats are different. They can bet set upside down. The springs in the needles are stronger than the float weight, so they do not compress.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Great work guy's I have my pre 750 apart now and looking for all the o-rings locally, this is a great site! I have a ways to go but good fuel and fire with even 120lbs of compression hopefully it will start.
                    Ride, Restore,Repeat
                    1992 Kat 750 barn find

Comment

honestly the best carb guide i have ever seen..did a great job with it

Comment

How much is an average cost for a shop to clean your carbs?

And How can you tell when it's time to clean your carbs?
                        Last edited by JSMencer; 08-24-2013, 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        99 Katana 600

Comment

I enjoyed the video's. My carbs are different but similar. Need some new seals, needle & seats, etc. My #4 carb has a broken copper tube at the choke seat. I pulled the carbs because gas coming from air vent hose between 1&2.

Comment

i wish i found this before i took my carb apart You mention all the things i was in doubt about and had to google all over to find correct info for. The video is not super quality, but your comments makes up for most of it.. Close up still pictures sometimes are better in a video than an actual video from camera.

I dunno if this is the place to ask questions, but I was having problems with my engine cutting out in cold weather and at high RPM for long periods (10 mins or so).

So i took my carb apart and cleaned it, my floats were all wrong some were down to 5mm, so I put em at 13mm, put it all together again clean and perfect.. but now I have problems.. seems like I get way to much air compared to fuel..

I am missing to check my fuel filter as the last thing, but could that really be all that is wrong ? Wasn't this big a problem before I did the cleanup.
                            Last edited by Pytte; 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM.

Comment

There are also write ups in the wiki with pictures and written instructions.
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

that video great! very informative. are there any rebuild videos for pre kat carbs?

Comment

Working...
                                X