My Winter Project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks.

I think I am going to do it myself.

I keep changing my mind on paint scheme and I'm in the middle of the job lol... This is the for sure main colour "Real Teal Pearl" I took pic of the lid. As you can see its not mixed completly but the bit of green at the bottom of the lid will be mixed in with the colour a bit making it a tad more "teal".

As of right now, I think this is what I am going to do... The "Real Teal Pearl" above is the main blue colour (Let me know what you think).

Obviously not exactly this but something like it... The "lines" will be a silver metallic. What I'm thinking at the moment anyway.. haha

I was also thinking of just doing it one straight colour but I would want stickers of some kind to break things up, but not stock "Katana" stickers.

Any suggestions are appreciated

PS: The white parts are all chrome on my bike. And the signal lights and tail light is clear.
    Last edited by Chris438; 02-05-2011, 12:31 AM.
    My Bike/Project:
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114782

Comment

I think that blue silver would look great. I'm not an expert but if you go with the scheme in you picture I'd lay the blue over the silver. It's going be hard to execute, but if you pull it off it might look pretty cool.
      Richard
      96 Suzuki GSX750F
      89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
      05 Yamaha WR450F
      05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chris438 View Post
        Ok, what do you guys think about this......

I've got all my pieces primed and sanded pretty much ready for paint. I am not very experienced with painting but would be proud of my work if I did it myself. And would love to say "ya, I did this" when its done.
        I have the paint and clear coat and everything already. I know I can do it, the problem is I only have a small area to paint them in, probably about 12x14' an old garage. With a small exhaust fan.
        It was fairly hard to keep over spray from going on my parts while painting primer. I wasn't to concerned with just primer. But I could try a little harder to keep over spray from other parts after they're painted maybe try my best :S.
        Anyways, this is what I was going to ask what you guys thought.
        My dad has a friend who is a painter for a living. He said he will spray the primer sealer, base coat (pearl), and clear coat and maybe even add some more pearl to the paint. He said $300 to do this. He said he will also buff out anything if it needs it after clear.

Do you think I should get him to do it? (funds are pretty tight right now)

Or should I risk it myself and do it and see how it turns out?
        If I mess it up, sand down my paint that i mess up. Then another $75 for another quart of paint plus give him $300 to paint it??
        I agree solid color bikes need something to break up the Blaaa...

for $300 I would have him do it honestly... damn does he want to do mine to for that price? I already have the paint lol.
        If you want to try it, thats ok, just use a good 2 part clear over it. the painting part is not to hard, its all the prep work for you pieces as well as the spray area.

For a small area like that you need good air flow. What I did with my shed was use both windows... take out a window and cover the opening with furnace filters, then use a 20" box fan in the other to draw air/fumes out. before I paint I spray the walls and floor with water to keep dust down wait until its dry then wet the floor again just before I spray.
        Its hard to get it perfect but it can be done this way. I did this bike with spray cans. like I said I have the paint for my bike already and will likely do mine this year as well. I have to paint my VT600 anyway

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-05-2011, 10:00 AM.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

The $300 is for one straight colour only. I have the paint, House of Kolor. He would have to spray the Primer sealer, base coat (real teal), and clear coat. Like I say I have all the paint for him. The problem with that is I dont really like plain, one straight colour bikes. I could always ask how much more he would want to spray the silver let me take home the parts and put on bike and use custom stencils to put on the silver and bring it back to him to do the "real teal" over stencils, and clear coat with after stencils are off.
          It's only one extra coat for him I guess... But more of a pain with the stencils and stuff...

Basically I would get him to do it if I liked solid one colour bikes.. I will find out how much more he will charge me for the silver coat before I start anything though.

Oh and he said he will go over my sanding of primer so he can make sure its up to his standards lol.... He's really picky with paint jobs, but of course I understand he wouldnt want to paint over someone elses prep work (if it was ****ty) then have his name on the paint job. Which is a good thing for me..

In a way I guess if it was $300, it would be worth it, because then I know I'm going to get a professional job. He also has a garge built for paint with proper exhaust fan so he wouldnt have the problems I do in my little room. lol...

That looks really good! spray cans to.. nice... What'd you use for clear??
          If your serious, I'm sure he would work out a price to do your paint as well..

And thanks for the advice on the painting in small room
          Last edited by Chris438; 02-05-2011, 09:08 PM.
          My Bike/Project:

Comment

Looks Good

Looks good Chris, What did you use to sand off the paint on the ABS Plastic? & how did you get the cracks out? I have some dings in mine & wouldn't mind getting them out. I like the concept art you through on there of the paintjob it should look pretty sick. Will the procedure be the same for the fuel tank? I think the primer is a good color for the bike

I love your garage btw lol, you have it in your apartment or what? (Reason I ask is because I will be getting an apartment in the next couple months)

Comment

Originally posted by NC4Life078 View Post
              Looks good Chris, What did you use to sand off the paint on the ABS Plastic? & how did you get the cracks out? I have some dings in mine & wouldn't mind getting them out. I like the concept art you through on there of the paintjob it should look pretty sick. Will the procedure be the same for the fuel tank? I think the primer is a good color for the bike

I love your garage btw lol, you have it in your apartment or what? (Reason I ask is because I will be getting an apartment in the next couple months)

Haha thanks, I think I might have changed my mind on the paint once again tho... still using same colors but might do a different design.
              Even though I still like the other. Just kind of a pain to do. Since the room is at my dad's place (an old garage, we are turning into a small apartment). And the bike is at my place. A good 15 min away. It will be a pain to paint silver bring it back to my place to put the bike together to tape out all the lines. Then bring it back to parents place again to do the main color :S. I still cant stand a solid one color bike though so we'll see what happens... :S

I used 400 grit wet to sand down all of the yellow and where the bare plastic spots are is where there were small scratches/cracks I had to fix.
              For the bigger mark by the front (near windshield) I used abs plastic and a soldering iron and filled it in. making sure all the plastic underneath was clean first and heated the plastic first, then filled it in with more plastic (so it was actually "welded together" instead of melted plastic on top).

Yes, the tank was the same.. All the decals are a pain of course, but after I got them off I sanded with 400 grit wet.

There also was a crack on front fender that I had to fix. (forgot to take pic).
              My Bike/Project:

Comment

Unless you truly wanted a diff design why change it? I mean you had put in all this hard work so far might as well go the extra mile to make it how you want. Just think about how bad *** it will be when your done, but then again... It's easier for me to say not in your situation haha. Alright the 400 grit wet & sand sounds like somthing I can do, I have almost no mechanical ability what so ever. Sodering... Is this somthing I can easily mess up? My wife is telling me I am goign to mess up my bike & just need to spend more money to get it fixed (AKA New fairings). The dent in my tank though I might have some one else take care of unless you have a good suggestion on that.

Comment

Well sand the dent down to bare metal at least 1" around the dent and depending on bad... Use body filler "bondo" if its not to deep. As far as the soldering goes theres not much to it really, just make sure u dont melt through the plastic lol.. But if it's cracks your trying to fix I suggest using abs cement, a 2 part epoxy.

Check out this thread by Hardlydangerous.
                  Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

As far as my design goes... If i'm going to do the type I did in that pic, I'm going to try to go all out and try some airbrushing too. We'll see how it turns out, if I decide to do it that way. I may do the "cracks" a bit bigger and "TRY" to add some shadows.. lol...

Thanks for your suggestion. I should be able to get back to the bike next week (hopefully!)
                  My Bike/Project:

Comment

Update:

I went and got the bike about 3/4 done today.

I did the primer sealer, basecoat, and intercoat clear. I will post pics tomorrow morning before I go get the pieces to bring and mask out the design for my silver... Might get silver done tomorrow if all goes well.

Pics in the am. Im to tired now.. lol
                    My Bike/Project:

Comment

pics?

Comment

Some of the pics are fuzzy.... Took them all with my phone so you have to hold the thing perfectly still to get a good pic.
                        But here's some of how it looks right now....

PRIMER SEALER

BASECOAT - SOME HAVE INTERCOAT CLEAR ON THEM. Some also have a bit of dust I can whip most off just didnt before pics..

That's all I have for now, I will probably work on it today...

Colour looks better in the sun, theres a kind of green tint to it that makes it different. Plus a better camera im sure the pics wld look better too
                        Last edited by Chris438; 02-16-2011, 11:10 AM.
                        My Bike/Project:

Comment

i don't remember, is this a rattle can job?

Comment

No, it's Automotive paint and im using a compressor with spray gun.
                            My Bike/Project:

Comment

Thats a sweet looking color dude. Good job

Comment

If anyone is interested.....

I just got home from my parents (where my bike parts are) from finishing my paint. Did a different design with silver, and unmasked and painted clear as well... It's 3am so I'm def not going to post pics yet... Might just wait till the bike is together to show pics..

I love the colour, the pictures do not show half as good as in person..

Pics = soon.

UGHhh The morning is going to suck. Here's to 3 hours sleep!
                                Last edited by Chris438; 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM.
                                My Bike/Project:

Comment

Working...
                                X