Motorcycle Riding During Fall and Winter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Riding During Fall and Winter

Motorcycle Riding During Fall and Winter

There are a few things to look out for this time of year but here are two critical things to keep in mind this fall and winter season.
    Leaves

Leaves are a huge hazard this time of year. When approaching a turn, curve, etc. scan ahead for the hazards close to the curb or shoulder. Avoid all piles of leaves. Hurricanes are going to make a mess of roads so consider not riding at all until the roads and power lines are repaired. If it snows and they put salt down, don’t ride until it rains and washes the salt away. Salt can corrode chrome and paint.
    As a precaution I always apply a coat of wax to all parts of the bike before I take it out in the winter. It will help to wipe off the salt if any gets on it.
    Winterizing your bike

Some people stop riding in November. If that is you make sure you put the bike on a battery tender, put sta-bil in your gas tank, and fill the tank to the top. Use sta-bil every time you fill the tank if you continue to ride. If you are considering riding in the winter months consider getting heated gear.

No winterizing in Texas. But it DID get wet here this week.

You probably saw us in the news...lots of flooding.

4 days off the bike now...
    Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
    Ride: 2002 750F Kat
    "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

Also remember to stay sharp, It has gotten pretty damn cold, don't let that dull your senses. Try to buy some heated gear if you intend on riding through the winter.

Comment

good gloves are a MUST. If your hands get numb...good luck trying to stop fast
        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
          good gloves are a MUST. If your hands get numb...good luck trying to stop fast
          That's one of those things you really can't explain to someone, they only believe you after it's happened to them!
          Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
            That's one of those things you really can't explain to someone, they only believe you after it's happened to them!
            yea I definitely learned the hard way I got frostbite in my fingers when I was younger so feeling isnt as sharp as normal when it comes to temperature changes etc and yea...the brain said "pull the clutch..PULL THE CLUTCH!!" and my hand said "go to hell..." I bought better gloves an the hand warmers you shake to put inside the gloves..its better but heated gloves are up on top of my list

Comment

Anyone use heated grips? I'm thinking I may like that option better, if it works well.

Comment

Most of the people I ride with that have heated grips state that they're great for those cooler mornings and evenings whne you don't want to tog up with the wired gear. When the temps drop below the upper 30's they opt for the heated gloves, as most brands warm the entire hand, not just the palm, which is what the grips will do. Depending upon your location, if the temps don't fall deeper than the upper 30's a pair of JR Nitrogen gloves or Cortech Scarab's will keep your hands functioning and warm in those temps - without the need for heated grips. Below those temps, heated gloves are the best option, inmho.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

definitely looking into some heated gloves, but they are @$&^& expensive

went for a couple of rides last week and had to shorten them a lot more than planned because I couldn't feel my hands.

the temperature was hovering around freezing

Comment

Originally posted by Circuitmage View Post
                    No winterizing in Texas.

4 days off the bike now...
                    You remind me of the time I vowed to ride my bike the seven miles to my school every day of the year, just to piss the administration off by wearing black leathers to my classroom. It had been about a month since I had been behind the wheel of a car, and my wife sent me to the store for eggs.

I took her car, and when I pulled up to the first stop sign, I braced myself and planted both feet on the floorboard of her Accord "to stay balanced". I did this twice before realizing that I wasn't on my bike and stabilizing wasn't necessary.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                      You remind me of the time I vowed to ride my bike the seven miles to my school every day of the year, just to piss the administration off by wearing black leathers to my classroom. It had been about a month since I had been behind the wheel of a car, and my wife sent me to the store for eggs.

I took her car, and when I pulled up to the first stop sign, I braced myself and planted both feet on the floorboard of her Accord "to stay balanced". I did this twice before realizing that I wasn't on my bike and stabilizing wasn't necessary.
                      I have only owned a manual transmission car for the last 10 years so anytime I drive an automatic I franticly search for the clutch when coming up to a stop sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Eye8 View Post
                        definitely looking into some heated gloves, but they are @$&^& expensive

went for a couple of rides last week and had to shorten them a lot more than planned because I couldn't feel my hands.

the temperature was hovering around freezing
                        this is what I put inside my gloves...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Heatmax-HotHands-Hand-Warmer-Value/dp/B00D7H9LIA/ref=sr_1_2?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1383316931&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Heatmax HotHands Hand Warmer Value Pack: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

when my hands start getting cold ill shake my hand for a few seconds then move my fingers around to pass some heat. Definitely makes it more tolerable and its a cheap temporary option.

Comment

I have heated grip inserts intalled on my bike; they were only $20 at my local Cycle Gear and work pretty well IMO! I also have heated gloves that it took my a while to pull the trigger on because of the price, but am glad I did!
                          sigpic

Current bike: 2007 Hayabusa

Comment

My heated grips recently failed First one stopped working, and eventually the other.

Checked all the connectors, fuse etc, then eventually pulled the elements out. Both had internal splits. Oh well, time to order another $1 set from ebay

Comment

Koso heated grips are awesome.. 5 heat settings & bought them off the net!
                              One of the best investments I've made so far,
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X