X

Chain rear sprocket noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain rear sprocket noise

I've searched and read quite about the chain and sprockets thru the search. I think I have several issues but maybe a quick post would answer my questions. I have a 98 kat 600 with 35k. I changed the plugs, oil, and filter yesterday. I noticed the chain may have to much slack cause I keep hearing the clunk sound (yes the bike is up on the center stand). So I before i did anything i spun the rear wheel and on the same place where the chain met the sprocket it would bind then clunk. You could actually see the chain partly off of the sprocket at the middle back. So I started the bike and put it in first and let it run in first gear. Not only does the chain bind in the same spot, but when it did the swing arm would actually move 1/4" inch toward sprocket side. I tried loosen, tighten, and etc.... but same thing happens. Can a chain stretch on one end? It's like chain link spacing is off in one section. So maybe worn chain, misaligned, to tight, bent rear sprocket??? Any help would be great.

My guess is that some links are binding which effectively shortens the chain. Probably time for a new chain and sprockets. That's my guess
    -2000 "750"

Comment

Is the chain adjusted right? 1.2"-1.4" is about right I think. The chain will also be a bit loose on the centerstand, when you get on the bike and the suspension compresses the chain tightens up a bit. Does it make the noise when you're out riding it? How far back are you on your adjustments?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It's a stuck link. You *might* be able to rescue it by diligent cleaning with kerosene and use a penetrating oil on that binding link afterwards, followed by diligent lube use from then on over the whole chain... Or you might not, in which case, it's time for chain & sprockets (if it's still the original chain/sprockets at 35k, you got your $$ out of 'em).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
          It's a stuck link. You *might* be able to rescue it by diligent cleaning with kerosene and use a penetrating oil on that binding link afterwards, followed by diligent lube use from then on over the whole chain... Or you might not, in which case, it's time for chain & sprockets (if it's still the original chain/sprockets at 35k, you got your $$ out of 'em).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          I'm with CP, mine did that when I first got it. I was able to save it following above instructions. Good luck.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X