X

92 GSXR 1127 engine into 750F Kat, questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to mod for clearance

Well I got it bolted in there, but there is a clearance issue that needs some fabrication to solve.
    The 1127 cylinder head is about 17mm taller than the 750. I had to take the breather cap off to clear the frame.
    I need those 15mm cleared away, or at least 10mm. I'll probably have to mod the breather cap and the frame.

Comment

Most mod the brace with a capped notch.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Most mod the brace with a capped notch.
        Thanks, I think I been visualizing that, carve out the notch, then weld a flat steel sheet across the cut and close it up, right?

Comment

Yes, sir.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Most people don't bother welding it back up.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That doesn't surprise me...
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                Most people don't bother welding it back up.
                Looking at buying a welder just for this project, it does seem expensive.
                A stick welder could do it, but a MIG welder will be neater, plus I can use it for aluminum projects.
                Haven't got any other welding projects in mind right now.

Comment

Wire feed units are pretty cheap
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

That stock Kat-11 exhaust is going to disappoint you. Its super quiet which means its also restrictive. I can barely tell when I rev the engine. When I take off down the street full throttle its so quiet I feel like I'm going slow...lol
                    I recommend cutting it open and gutting it if your buying a welder or buy a 4 into 1.
                    You'll need a nice set of tools to cut it open and make it look good. The stainless steel shield welds can be ground off with a grinder to remove it. Then you'll need to split the can open to gut it with a band saw or reciprocating saw, then re-weld it back together.
                    Just a heads up before you rebuild the carbs to stock spec because you'll need to rejet.
                    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                      Looking at buying a welder just for this project, it does seem expensive.
                      A stick welder could do it, but a MIG welder will be neater, plus I can use it for aluminum projects.
                      Haven't got any other welding projects in mind right now.
                      Let me tell you, it's going to be a hard spot to weld in unless you are going to drop the motor and flip the frame over to do it.

Also double check your oil cooler mounting location.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah, kinda don't want molten steel dripping in my face.
                        The motor was hard to lift in there, having forgotten how I did it 4 years ago.

It seems to me changing engines would be easier to do, by supporting the motor, then hoist the frame up and off the motor, and lower it back down.

Thanks, I'll check the oil cooler fit.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                          Well I got it bolted in there, but there is a clearance issue that needs some fabrication to solve.
                          The 1127 cylinder head is about 17mm taller than the 750. I had to take the breather cap off to clear the frame.
                          I need those 15mm cleared away, or at least 10mm. I'll probably have to mod the breather cap and the frame.

Im actually in the beginning process of this swap.

wont the breather cap from the 750 work on the 1127?

Could you take some more up close pictures?

Also how well did the oil lines fit?
                          Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
                          The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Ok, here's some closeups of the clearance issue, so you can see.
                            Frame clearance, I'm planning on notching it at that horizontal shadow in the middle.
                            The tank support, I'll cut away the notch about midway through the tube.
                            I'll weld a cut to fit plate on both those cuts to regain some of the strength, keep them from flexing. Although they seem to be more than the bike needs.

Last edited by buffalobill; 11-03-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Ok, crude but this is my 1st weld job.

Mo-betta

Comment

Nothing a file couldn't clean up. As long as it clears and who's gonna see it.
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X